Thursday, November 1, 2007

Time Keeps On Slippin'...Into The Future


I can't believe it is already November 1st. It seems like just yesterday, it was summer vacation. Oh who am I kidding, it seems like just yesterday it was Thanksgiving, and yet now the holiday season approaches and it will soon be Thanksgiving once again. I can't figure out where the time has gone, and how it could have gone by so quickly.

They say that as you get older you are more aware of the passage of time. That certainly seems to be the case with me. I remember when I was younger (o.k. lots younger) it seemed to take f-o-r-e-v-e-r for it to be summer vacation. Now that I am older (o.k. lots older) Summers seem to come with greater frequency.

This rapid movement of time and the quick passage of the seasons, scare me. I look around me and I know that life is fleeting, and I fear, at times, that it is slipping through my fingers and that before I know it, I will turn around and be nearing the end of my life.

There are so many things that I want to accomplish, and so many things that I feel I still need to do, what if I run out of time? What if I can't finish it all? I would hate to leave this world with things left undone.

I'm not sure what has brought this awareness of time to the forefront of my consciousness. Maybe it is because I have a birthday coming the end of this month. Maybe it is that I am now the mother of a teenager. Maybe it is that I am feeling overwhelmed at the thought of another holiday season and all that I need to do. All I know is that suddenly I am feeling that time is passing too quickly.

12 comments:

Marshamlow said...

What a moving post Lynn. I can't help but wonder, if you knew you only had one day left, would any of those pressing accomplishments on your list matter?

Joan said...

I noticed you snuck in that little bit of birthday info at the end of your post. So...where's your birthday ticker???

the moose buyer said...

Just think cousin no matter how old you are, I will always be 13 years older and you will ALWAYS be a BABY COUSIN to me. Does that make you feel better?????

ms chica said...

I think we all run our of time in the end. It's just a reminder to make the most of everyday.

I feel the same way about not accomplishing everything I want to in life and I have to remember that I may not reach all my goals, but there is always a chance something I do will make a difference for someone else instead.

Anonymous said...

I've been feeling that a lot as well. Apparently it's middle age. Great.

Ralph said...

Lynn, I understand the fleeting nature of life. Yet, life is so good, so satisfying. If life seems to be passing you by, it isn't. Don't get ahead of yourself, enjoy each day, each event for what it is. Don't get flustered by not meeting all your hopes, dreams, desires. My thinking is that to be alive today is that I can fight the fight again today, and enjoy the most important things today. Life, every day, is good...

Pam said...

I think we notice the passage of time more acutely the older our chidren get. Suddenly there are fewer years left where they will be living under the same roof.. and that's a BIG change!

Renee Nefe said...

I try really hard to not dwell on how time is slipping by. I'm very happy in the now and am suprised when it's suddenly another holiday, but celebrate each one with glee. My hope for you is that you make your birthday like a holiday and have a good time.

Lynn said...

Marsha - You asked a really good question. I think that I would spend my last day focusing on my family, and making all the arrangements so that they wouldn't have to. What a morbid thought.

Joan - I didn't even think of putting one up...I guess now I better.

The Moose Buyer - Now I feel a lot better...thanks.

Ms. Chica - I wonder what is it about human nature that makes us take our lives for granted. How well we served/helped others is probably what ultimately determines whether or not our lives were worthwhile.

Deb - Does this mean that I have to wait until I am through with being middle aged, before I will start feeling better?

Ralph - It is hard to stay in the moment, and to enjoy each and every moment as it comes. I watch my mother do that, but only because she cannot remember the moments that came before. You are right...life is good, everyday. Sometimes I forget to take a moment and remember that.

Pam - I think you are correct. Some days I look forward to Elle and Ten being out of the house, and other days I dread it. Either way, the day will come when they are both out and on their own. I am afraid that it will come in the blink of an eye!

Renee - I enjoy most days, it's just that I turn around and a whole week of days have gone.

Patti said...

time and tide wait for no man (or woman)

This idea of kids leaving the nest is not fun. Whose idea was this anyway?

Lynn said...

Patti - Um...theirs?

Patti said...

I suppose.