Thursday, November 15, 2007

His Family

I was reading Leanne's blog the other day, and was grateful to read that she has come up with a name for "messy house syndrome". She calls it ' walk-in-the-house-and-drop-everything-wherever-you-want-itis'.

I am so happy that this disorder has a name, because my family suffers from this syndrome. In fact, we have a bad case of it...with no remedy in site.

Which brings me to the reason for this post. My DH's family has decided that they want us to host the family holiday get together this year. Mind you, I always host the get together for my family and friends (because they are all normal down to earth people). My DH's family are a different breed.

They all have exquisite taste (as does my DH, which is why he chose me to marry. lol) Fortunately for them, they have the money to match their expensive taste. Each one of their homes is a showcase. From tastefully decorated rooms to beautiful granite, lovely tile, and designer furniture...well I think you get the idea. The thing is, I always feel as if I am walking into a model home, or a museum, when I enter their houses. I can never get totally comfortable. When Elle and Ten were younger, I always worried that they might make a mess and "gasp" possibly spill something on the furniture or floor. Heck I still worry about it. I worry that I will somehow do something that might inadvertently shatter the perfectness of their houses.

My house, on the other hand, is decorated in the "lived-in" style. From our tile which is coming up in places, to carpeting (which needs to be replaced), and furniture that the kids have spilled who knows what on, all the way to the kitchen and bathrooms that need to be remodeled. We live in all of the rooms of our house, and it shows. While I envy, at times, the museum quality of some of DH's relatives homes, I prefer the comfort of mine.

I realize that this all sounds well and good, but here is the catch. Every time that DH's family comes over, I feel like they are turning their noses up, and looking down at us. While their houses are organized and clutter free, my house it a disorganized cluttered mess. No matter how much I try to keep it neat, I just can't. I have what is known at the 'drop and go' syndrome. It's where I come into the house and put things down right before I have to turn around and rush out of the house. My DH always says that I should put things back where they belong, which is easy for him to say since he isn't the one responsible for providing taxi service.

I know that I desperately need someone to come into my house and throw out 85% of the clutter that is there. I need someone to remind me that I don't need to save: old toys, clothes, books, games which we no longer use. For some reason, I find it hard to part with all of this "stuff". Consequently, not everything in my house has a place, hence the DVD's are on top of the T.V. cabinet. There are piles of mail on the kitchen counter. Lest you think it is only me, there are socks that Elle and Ten seem to like to leave lying around on the floor in both the living room and family room.

A few years ago, when we had fires burning right up the street, I loaded up my van at 1:30 in the morning with the stuff that was really important (other than the family and dog):clothes for a few days, medicine, photos, important papers, the tower from our desktop. Nothing else really seemed that important, at the time. So why oh why do I insist on keeping all of this stuff?

Wait a second, this post wasn't going to be about my clutter, it was supposed to be about how worried I am that DH's family is coming over for a holdiay celebration. I am already cringing at the though of their looks of superiority when they come into my house. This weekend, I will try to reduce the clutter downstairs, and pray that they won't want to come and see the upstairs of the house.

I don't know what to do about my feelings of inadequacy. My feelings of embarassment. My worry that they will proclaim our house a 'slum', not in the true sense of the word, but compared to their homes. I worry that their feelings of disdain will come across loud and clear.

Both Elle and Ten have friends who live in beautifully decorated/remodeled homes. They are not blind, and can see the differences for themselves. Elle and Ten know that if I were to work full time we could afford to have our home looking more pristine. They also know that I work part-time so I can pick them up from school and take them to their various activities. The kids know that they are our priority...much more so than having a showcase for a home. I have asked Elle and Ten if they would prefer to have a home with granite countertops and new flooring, or do they prefer having me home for them. Both of them, without hesitation, chose having me at home for them. (yeah for values)

Then why after all of this rambling, am I worried, embarassed, and feeling inadequate about what his family will think?

13 comments:

Marshamlow said...

Perhaps the reason they want to come to your house is because they feel like they are missing out on what you have. That comfort and togetherness feeling that we all associate with Thanksgiving. I know I would rather eat at your house than a show house. I am sorry for your stress, I would stress out too. Moving so much causes me to cut down on the clutter a little, but we still have way too much.

Anonymous said...

So why does it bother you so much what other people think about your house? Do you like your house the way it is? It sounds like it works for you, that's all that matters.

I have a magnet on my fridge. It says,

"Dull women have immaculate houses."

ms chica said...

First and foremost, your house has to be a functional space that meets the needs of you and your family. We all should have our own safe comfortable spaces whatever that space might be, provided it isn't a safety or health hazard.

It is easy to assume people are judging us when they actually aren't. People notice differences in lifestyles and environments all the time.That's perfectly normal; it's being observant. It doesn't mean they are always judging you.

Yeah, I prefer keeping my place neat, but I spend a lot of time here, I have the time to keep things picked up, and less clutter makes me a calmer, less anxious person.

I don't have the same expectations for others. I respect their spaces and hope it meets THEIR needs. All lives, means and abilities are not equal. If you and DH are okay with your diggs, I wouldn't worry....but I understand that it is hard not to.

Renee Nefe said...

I'm so lucky that no one in my family lives in the "model home" so I don't have that to deal with.

But like everyone has said here...your family knows already that you don't live like they do and yet they choose to come to your house...where they can relax and put their feet up...right?

Stuff all the clutter upstairs...give the kids STRICT WARNINGS that NO ONE is to go upstairs or face the consequences...death by falling clutter!!! ha ha and then relax and enjoy your family.

So what if they think anything. Like you've said, your kids would rather have a MOM than a model home.

Mary said...

My SIL is like that. His house MUST be spotless at all times. Unfortunately his boys tell him that they enjoy going to Grandma's because they can relax and have a good time. A house needs to be a home first and foremost. It sounds like yours is full of love, so the clutter is second to that.

Hide the clutter as best you can, relax and enjoy the love and laughter of family and friends at Thanksgiving.

Grandma used to tell me that the dirt would be there long after she was dead and gone and she was right. She always took time for us and I always take time for my grandsons. Grandma's house wasn't dirty and neither is mine but it has that "lived in" look.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Blessings,
Mary

Patti said...

You would feel at home at our humble abode, Lynn.
Our house is anything but perfect. It's lived in and people are always comfortable when they come here.

You are passing the right values on to your children, as I hope we have with ours.
You being there for them is much more important than fancy digs.

I think your in-laws are secretly envious of the homey atmosphere you have created.

Home is where the heart is.

not-so suburban momma said...

I think you should get it as messy as possible before they come over then when you see them sniffing the dust with their noses in the air just act all embarrassed and say "I'd really like to clean my house up but DH and I are so horny these days we can just never getting around to the cleaning..." Then not only will you be able to deal with your feelings of material inadequecy but you'll solve the problem of them ever wanting to come over again. See? I 'm a genius.

Lynn said...

Marsha - It is very possible that they want to come to my house so that the 'mess' won't be at their houses. Maybe I need to move again to reduce my clutter.

Deb - I guess that I am insecure, and look for validation of my worth outside of myself. Your magnet made me laugh, I guess no one would ever accuse me of being dull.

Ms Chica - Our house is functional and it does work for us, but that doesn't stop me from wishing that it was a little (o.k. a lot) nicer. Maybe that's what it's all about for me... that I wish that my home was more like theirs...and it isn't.

Renee - I like your solution...I'm thinking of expanding the "death by falling clutter" threat to all of DH's family. Wouldn't that be a funny site. They are start up the stairs and are then trapped in an avalanche of clutter.lol

Mary - I don't mind the lived-in comfortable look. I just wish that I had: new flooring, new kitchen counter tops, new windows, new bathrooms that's it...not too much to ask for...is it? hahaha. I think that ultimately, it's the clutter that is really bothering me. My difficulty with letting go of 'stuff'. When really, none of it is important.

Patti - I think that my in-laws are too self-centered and shallow to appreciate the homey 'lived-in' feel of my house. Basically they are snobs...each and every one of them (DH not included, thank goodness).

not-so surburban mom - Hahaha heeheehee hohoho...whew, I can't stop laughing. I can't even begin to imagine their faces if DH and I said that. Actually I can...which is why I can't stop laughing. Thanks you so much! You really are a genius! hee hee hee guffaw!

the moose buyer said...

Ok Lynn since I know these people, I will tell you not to give a rat's butt about what they think especially D. I love your house and everything in it. You are better than all of them put together!!! K does have great taste and I am sure he is grateful he belongs to our family.

the moose buyer said...

Ok Lynn since I know these people, I will tell you not to give a rat's butt about what they think especially D. I love your house and everything in it. You are better than all of them put together!!! K does have great taste and I am sure he is grateful he belongs to our family.

Kelly said...

You have the sane in-laws as I do obviously! LOL! My SIL will FIND something to clean when she comes to my house even if we have spent 3 days polishing it from top to bottom. She will start wiping down the legs on my table (do people actually do that?)

Lynn said...

The Moose Buyer - You are so sweet and what you are saying is just what I needed to hear. Thanks.

Kelly Malloy - Welcome to my blog. What are your in-laws doing under the table that makes it necessary to wipe down the table legs? lol

Kelly said...

Good question!