Monday, November 19, 2007

DH and the Car

DH is looking for a new car. He wants to buy an Acura TSX. I've been after him to buy a new car since his last car 'died' (with over 200,000 miles) a year ago, but he wasn't quite ready to commit to a new car at that time. Since then, he's been driving my mother's car, which she hasn't been driving since she moved in with us, four years ago.


All of a sudden, DH has got a bug up his butt, and has decided that he needs to buy a car right now. He seems disappointed that I am not quite as enthuastic as he is about going to a car dealership and taking on the debt of a new car. A year ago, I was excited...now, not so much.


It's a beautiful car, and DH definitely deserves it. I just don't understand why he would decide that he needs a new car when my pay status is still unknown. His logic and timing are beyond me.

8 comments:

Joan said...

Men! Don't you just love them?!?! Look at it this way...the sooner he buys himself a car, the faster you'll get mom's fuel efficient car back so you can take it instead of the van. After all...gas prices are only going up, not down.

Renee Nefe said...

I like Joan's silver lining there.

I don't understand the way men think either. DH will mention that we should start thinking about a new car...so I get all excited, do the research on the car I want and start looking for that car and then he'll say "No, not yet!" And I'm all confused yet again.
Sometimes I think he just likes to get me all excited about a car. And other times I think it's that HE wants a new car for himself...not one for me. He is currently driving the newer car and mine is 13 years old.

slow panic said...

men + cars = mass confusion for us

jaded said...

The curse of the Y chromosome. I understand this one. If his new car purchase is inevitable, talk him into waiting the last day of the month before taking the plunge. In an effort to make their monthly reports look better, most dealerships are more willing to negotiate on the last day of the month....Food for thought.

Lynn said...

Joan - I like the way you think!

Renee - Maybe they are both just trying to keep us off-balance.

Jodi - Welcome to my blog. You are absolutely right about that.

Patches - Thanks for the advice...I have tried explaining that to him. I'm just not sure that he is listening. Hopefully he will get so bogged down trying to find the exact car that he wants, that it will either be the end of this month...or better yet, the end of this year.

meno said...

My husband has a car problem too. I share your pain.

KellytheCulinarian said...

My car was supposed to be fixed today after a minor crushing accident ... it's MIA.

Lynn said...

Meno - At least we are not alone.

Kelly Mahoney - Isn't it amazing how a minor crushing accident turns into a major pain?