Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Payroll Fiasco

I believe that I've mentioned that I work for a large urban school district. This district rolled out a new payroll program 11 months ago. The payroll program (BTS) is an unmitigated disaster. Thousands of employees have either not been paid, have been underpaid, or in my case have been overpaid.

One would think that being overpaid is a good thing. I can tell you from first hand experience that it isn't. The financial implications, as we approach the end of the 2007 year, are overwhelming. We have been told that we have until December 10th to pay back any overpayments made to us, and we will be able to pay them back at the net rate (because the district will have time to recoup the taxes that they've paid to the gov't). If we don't pay the money back before December 10th, then we will have to pay back the gross amount.

I spent a good portion of yesterday (from 8am-3pm) at the Districts downtown headquarters, trying to get clarification as to exactly how much I've been overpaid. No one was able to give me an amount. Not Michael in payroll. Not Michael's supervisor Julianne. Nor Yvette. Isabelle from Human Resources tried to help me out, under the watchful eye of her supervisor Colleen, but no one could give me any information.

They all told me that I would have to wait until the next 'payroll run' which won't happen until November 15th. I was told that after that run, I will get a letter telling me the amount I owe. Knowing this district, as I do, I figure the letter won't even get to me until after the December 10th deadline.

Guess where I'll be on November 16th.

10 comments:

Marshamlow said...

My sympathies, they do this in the military all the time. Especially when you move. Although they are kind enough to just deduct the overpayment out of your check until it is all right as rain again. It usually takes a few months of wonky paychecks whenever we move to a new location.

Renee Nefe said...

It seems very cruddy that you should have to suffer for their mistakes but I hear of employers doing this all the time. So glad I don't work for pay...at least with volunteering my time I'm never shorted on my pay.

I do hope they get this all worked out to your advantage soon. Bug them lots! I've found folks figure things out quickly when they are bugged just to get you off their backs.

egan said...

On November 16th you will board a plane. That's my guess.

Patti said...

What a pain! You will have to return to the district's offices and talk to scores of people again.
That is where you will be on the 16th.

Lynn said...

Marsha - It has now been 11 months and the problem is not corrected. With the tax deadline looming, there is definite anxiety in the air.

Renee - Volunteering definitely has it's perks, being paid correctly is one of them. lol. If I get the run around on November 16th, the 'bugging' will commence immediately.

Egan - Boarding a plane sounds like fun...Hawaii, Fuji, Australia here I come.

Patti - Nothing gets past you! Who knows you may see me on T.V. "District Employee refused to leave district headquarters without an answer, film at 11". lol

Mary said...

If that letter doesn't reach you before the December 10th deadline, be sure to keep it and take it to a lawyer. It may save you a lot of money. I'm not sure about the laws where you are, but I'd be checking into them. I'm not sure they can demand payment within a couple of weeks if it was them who made the mistake. Please check and be sure.

I will keep you in my prayers that this will work out for you.

Blessings,
Mary

ms chica said...

This is a real crock. I think I mentioned my Mister had a similar problem last year. Maybe you should get Joan to write a letter on your behalf. She seems to be getting results in her war on poor customer service. For that matter I could have the cat put in a good word for you as well.

Lynn said...

Mary - The thing is that the district is not demanding that we pay the money back right away, they are saying that if the money isn't paid by Dec 10th, then we have to pay back the gross amount instead of the net amount. That they were supposed to get us this information back in July, and it is now November doesn't seem to be a big deal to the district...Just to the employees.

Ms Chica - Joan and I have spoken about what is going on. Unfortunately there is no customer service at the district. Actually there is no one down at the district headquarters, or at the union for that matter, who even really gives a damn.

Lynanne said...

Ugh...I had the same problem as a state employee one time. They took 3 months to pay me for a university class I was teaching. I complained and they told me it the paperwork took time, they only cut checks once a month...etc. A week after I got my check I received a notice that I had been overpaid and needed to refund the money before my next paycheck. Yeah. They can take forever when they owe me money but suddenly when the situation is reversed it needs to be dealt with immediately.

I hope they get this figured out for you ASAP. Ugh! What a hassle!

Lynn said...

Lynanne - It all has to be figured out by December 10. The problem is that even once they tell me what I owe, I will have no way of really knowing if the numbers are correct, because I have already gotten two different statements with two different amounts owed. ugh