Friday, November 9, 2007

This Post is Brought To You By The Numbers 2, 6, 13 and 19.















Four years ago, after 'finishing' Ten's entire bedroom set, I promised myself that I would never buy unfinished furniture again. Then, two years ago we bought Elle an unfinished desk and hutch for her room. After 'finishing' those two items, I once again promised myself that I would never buy unfinished furniture again.

Having evidently forgotten my promise to myself, I foolishly ordered an unfinished desk and hutch for Ten back on August 3rd. I was told when I ordered these items that they would be available for pick up in 6 weeks. After just two phone calls to the store in the past 13 weeks I was told that the desk and hutch were finally in the warehouse, and that I could pick them up yesterday. Yeah, right...I bet you know where this story is heading.

So Saturday, Elle and I decided to drive about 20 miles to the warehouse to pick up the items. Although we had been told that someone would be there to meet us, no one was there. I had to call the store and was told that someone would meet us at the warehouse in 20 minutes. I figured after waiting 13 weeks that I could wait 20 more minutes.

Unfortunately, there was a 'small' problem with the desk. Jorge (original salesman) assured me that it was an easy thing to fix, and that the desk would be ready by Monday. Because I have been so patient, he would arrange to have the items delivered to my house...on November 24th. Deciding that I didn't want Ten to have to wait for his desk an additional 19 days, I said that I would pick everything up on Monday. Of course the desk wasn't ready by Monday. I had to wait until Tuesday to pick it up.

Clearly the salesman doesn't know the difference between the numbers 2 and 19 as they pertain to days; or the number 6 and the number 13 as they pertain to weeks. Maybe I should give him some old Sesame Street videos. I think The Count would like to be his friend. Of course if I listened to my own advice, I would not be facing the task of finishing furniture, yet again. I wonder if there is a Sesame Street video about listening to yourself.
At least I know what I will be doing this weekend.

9 comments:

Marshamlow said...

I had a similar problem when we moved into our new house and ordered new appliances. Where has all the customer service gone?

Joan said...

Apparently counting is not part of the personnel tests offered by this store when they hire new people. And it seems customer service is another necessity that is ignored during the hiring process. I wonder what skills are considered desirable?

Renee Nefe said...

Keep hollerin at that company until you get some satisfaction...that's crazy.

Sorry they gave you such a runaround!

the moose buyer said...

Why in heck would you not buy a desk fully assembled and stained and ready for 10 to start using immediately? I cannot imagine what you are going through.

Lynn said...

Marsha - I think that all of the customer service went out the window along with manners.

Joan - Misleading people?

Renee - I'll just never order anything from that store again...and I'll tell all my friends not to order from them either.

Moose Buyer - We couldn't find one that we liked.

Patti said...

We have bought unfinished stuff too, and a small table is still unfinished, about 3 years later. But I have hope Kid Two will do it.

Lynn said...

Patti - I know that the only way that it will be done right, and as quickly as possible, is if I do it.

jaded said...

Finishing is faster than building, or stripping paint and refinishing, bleh! The salesman is only jerking you around until there is an opening in marketing :).

Lynn said...

Patches - You are correct that finishing is faster that all of the above...but it is definitely not faster than buying it already finished.