Friday, March 2, 2007

Part Three Of The Trilogy - In Which The Meeting Takes Place

Part Three of this trilogy sees me waiting at the flagpole when the girls get out of school. Four girls place their backpacks in the back of my van...Twelve walk by me...shoots me a dirty look and says "I'm walking". I ask her if she would like me to take her backpack...she continues walking away looks back at me and shakes her head no. Move to scene Two.

Three of the girls ask me why Twelve is walking, I tell them "because she wants to". They say "We want to walk too." I say "Go right ahead". They run to catch up with Twelve. The rest of the girls get in my van. Co-leader shows up and wants to know why some of the girls are walking...My brillant response was "Because they wanted to". Co-leader bothered...she wanted us to drive the girls because they would get to my house 5 minutes faster. I was on a different melodrama plane...I just ignored her annoyance. (There is no way that she can possibly compete with Twelve!)

Arrive at my house. Walking girls show up 3 minutes later. Twelve is walking by herself with her arms across her chest and a mad look on her face...not a pretty sight! All the girls enter my house and proceed to the dining room table. (At this point I was tempted to tell the girls "Don't touch anything in the house"...that might have made Twelve happy) . Didn't bother saying anything because as soon as Twelve walked in the house she went straight upstairs to her room and closed the door. (So much for being a sister to every girl scout). Started the meeting. Twelve's one friend in the troop...I'll call her Eventempered asked me if she could go up to Twelve's room and talk to her... thought about offering her some body armor but I didn't have any in her size. Next thing I know, Twelve and Eventempered are downstairs and have joined the meeting in progress.

Addressed why "Flinger" (see here) is no longer in the troop. Addressed that it is unfair for any of the girls in our troop to take their anger or frustration out on Twelve...that Flinger was out because of her unacceptable behavior...end of story. Girl that had been very mean to Twelve is suddenly acting especially nice to Twelve...Twelve is ignoring Mean Girl. (who can blame her?)

Meeting continues...we all get through it without any additional meltdowns. Drama unfolded...meeting over...disaster averted. End of story.

10 comments:

Andi said...

Off to see why Flinger was thrown out.

Visiting from Wendy's blog. :-)

Renee Nefe said...

Ah! It now makes more sense why Twelve wasn't pleased that the girls were coming over. I had forgotten that they were giving her a hard time over Flinger. Perhaps the grumpy one was being especially mean to her at school. Glad that Eventemper helped to calm Twelve down and that everyone is being nicer to Twelve.

I'm sure hormones didn't help any. They sure aren't helping me.

Patti said...

That Miss Eventempered has a future as a diplomat.

Glad you survived the meeting, Lynn.

P.S. Your descriptive narrative made me feel like I was there with you!

Anonymous said...

I loved reading your posts! You are a great writer. Thanks for visiting me too! :)

Anonymous said...

I think you handled everything great. No matter what you do there will be conflicts but you seem to be very cool and not giving in to 12 which is hard to do. All I can promise is that some day in the far future, you and 12 (by then she will be 24) will laugh at all this and you too will say - some day you will have a kid of your own.......

Joan said...

Perhaps you should appoint Miss Eventempered as your permanent mediator...wouldn't you just love to know exactly what it is she said to Twelve? Oh well...at least all's well that end's well...for now.

Spoon of life said...

It sounds like you have your hands full...have a great weekend and by the way "Wendy directed me here today" ;)

M.

Lynn said...

The Bluest Butterfly - when you go there...be sure to wear a raincoat!

Renee - I definitely owe Eventempered big time. As far a hormones...they're not helping me much either...unless I enjoy being a raving lunatic every month.

Patti - I will suggest that career choice to her.

Judi - Glad you came to visit.

Only Oldest - Would I really be so mean as to put the "someday you'll have children just like you" curse on Twelve?

Joan - On some level I would love to know what Eventempered said to Twelve...on another level...it doesn't matter, because even if I said the same exact thing as Eventempered...I am sure that the results would have been very different.

Maria & Stephano - Welcome to my overstressed life! I'll have to thank Wendy.

jaded said...

There's a really good chance that Eventempered told Twelve some of the same things you told her to equalize the situation (or at least told her things that you would approve of). Sometimes peer pressure can be a good influence. Being obnoxious to your parents is one thing....having a peer or a friend point out that you're behaving like a jerk...embarrassing. So hard to be cool.

Lynn said...

Patches - You are so right... it's easy to be a jerk to your parents...but it's hard to get away with it when it's your friends. In this case...thank goodness for peer pressure!