Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A Call For Help

I need some help! I had a situation in my Girl Scout troop (7th and 8th grade girls) in which one of the girls (we'll call her "Flinger") "flung spit" (while her father was standing right behind her) onto the face of another girl (who just happened to be my daughter), because "Flinger" was mad at something my daughter did (I'll explain this later).

Now let me digress for a moment and state as objectively as I can, that Flinger had behavioral issues since joining the troop (a few years). She behaved both disrespectfully and rudely to not only the other girls in the troop, but also to my co-leader and myself at every meeting/event, monopolizing the conversation and speaking when anyone else would try to speak, often speaking at the same time. My co-leader and I tried to work with this girl to help her be more respectful, speaking not only with this girl, but with her parents as well. Her behavior never changed. In fact it became worse.

When a child is 2 or 3 or 4 or even 5 years old, allowances need to be made to help teach correct behavior, I believe this is the job of the parents. When a child reaches the age of 14 years one would assume that they have been taught right from wrong and acceptable behavior from unacceptable behavior. (I realize that there are some children with disabilities who may not understand this concept, but that is not the case here). This girl knew what she did was wrong but chose to act out of anger and frustration anyway. I felt that this "flinging" behavior constituted "crossing the line" of acceptable behavior.

Now for Twelve’s part in the story. Twelve was rude to Flinger after the meeting. While Flinger was playing her flute (which she wasn't supposed to be doing) my daughter rudely kept saying "Make her stop, make her stop". Not to excuse Twelve’s behavior (there were consequences for her), but what Twelve did was really give "Flinger a taste of her own medicine" on a much lesser scale. (Flinger had been talking and interrupting the other girl scouts, my co-leader and me throughout the whole meeting). Instead of using her words, Flinger attacked my daughter....and as a result after much soul searching, I "dismissed" Flinger from the troop.

Fast forward a few months to now and to the problem that I need help with. We chose not to make a big deal of the fact that Flinger was out of our troop. (We felt that losing the privilege of being in the troop was consequence enough, and we didn't want to embarrass this girl unnecessarily). Twelve was instructed to tell anyone who asked that they should speak to Flinger directly. Well for the past week, one of the girls in the troop has been very mean to Twelve by saying things such as "It's your fault that Flinger got kicked out of the troop", and "I'm mad at you". Twelve's response has been quite mature. She has told this girl that the reason Flinger is out of the troop was because of Flinger's behavior, not because of anything that Twelve did. But these remarks are hurting Twelve’s feelings.

We are supposed to have a meeting Friday afternoon. Do I gather all the girls together and tell them what really happened, do I talk to the one girl who is "bothering" Twelve, or do I say and do nothing and let it (hopefully) work itself out? Do YOU have any suggestions?

11 comments:

Joan said...

These are the times I'm glad I'm not a mom. The responsibilities of being a parent and having to handle such delicate situations far exceed my abilities. I know you'll make the right choice and all will turn out for the best. Twelve is lucky to have you as a mom and the girls in the Troop are lucky to have you as their leader.

meno said...

I like the idea of gathering them all together and explaining the events. Then discuss. This might bring them all together.

But really, with kids, who the hell knows. Good luck.

Patti said...

Now I know why I never committed to being a Girl Scout leader. I just helped out with my daughter's troop and went camping with them.

Getting everyone together and explaining what happened seems like a good idea. They are not babies, after all.

I will be thinking good thoughts that it all will work itself out.

-Patti

Marshamlow said...

I say bring it up to the whole group together and explain that certain behavior is not excepted, that chances are given but ultimately if a girl cannot be respectful of the other girls and the adults they will be asked to leave the troop. Let all the girls have their say about the topic. If you don't give them a chance to object to your decision they will most likely take it out on your daughter. I have a 16 year old, she quit girl scouts at 14 because of bad behavior by other girls and a leader who never intervined.

Renee Nefe said...

I'm not sure if this needs to go to the entire troop or not. If "complainer" has been discussing her feelings with the other girls, then yes the whole troop needs to have a pow-wow about this.
And I think the way you've put it that "flinger" behavior has been unacceptable for the entire time... this wasn't just once incident that got her dismissed from the troop.
It's so unfortunate that flinger's parents didn't do anything to teach their child propper socialization. At her age she should know much better.

Best of luck to you with this one. I'm sure the troop once healed will be so much better for this.

BTW: We're considering Camp for DD this summer...any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

Lynn, I did mention the rewards of volunteering didn't I. Well unfortunately, this is the other side. I agree with Marsha completely. Present both sides to the entire group, then put the responsibility on ALL the girls to make the final decision in front of each other. It's time for them to understand the consequences of their actions and reactions and what's good for the troup or not good and all must follow their own rules. Don't let them off the hook and make sure there is some conclusion. If they vote to bring "flinger" back they themselves must advise her of their rules of behavour which they set. Let me know if you need help. Been there done that and I would be more than happy help.

Oh yeah, there is always the "moat"
Put them in a circle, build an electric wired moat and leave them locked up for the next 8 years.

Musings of a Housewife said...

Good grief! That's quite a situation. I agree with those who say it depends on if the other girls in the group are all aware of this issue or not. Did other people witness the spitting that caused "flinger" to be dismissed from the group? I don't think I'd be specific, but if you bring it up to the girls, you could just say that there was some unacceptable behavior, and she was dismissed. Keep it vague? Let us know what happens.

the moose buyer said...

Lynn, I did a post on my blog regarding volunteering for the toughest group which you have done. There is no easy solution by as your "only oldest" cousin I can only support whatever decision you make. I know you are a very fair person and will do what is right for the group. You have my total support always.

I am sure happy all these women are with you on this. It's nice to have the support from women who understand. Don't give up kiddo!!!

jaded said...

Tell Twelve I'm really proud of how maturely she has accepted the backlash from this situation. It's not easy to take the high road in matters like this.

I like the idea of referring inquiries about the incident to Flinger directly, but with Flinger's attitude, it's probably an unrealistic expectation that she would respond with any maturity (hell, I know fifty-year-olds that would respond the same way). Flinger probably doesn't comprehend that her actions have consequences. She just sees it as "the world is out to get me."

Things like this seldom resolve themselves, so if you sit down and explain the situation to the girls, do as Only Oldest suggested and strongly emphasize the link between consequences and actions.

Lynn said...

Joan - Awww, shucks, thanks for the compliment.

Meno - I hope when we discuss this situation, I get more than "eye rolling" from the girls.

Patti - You're right, they're not babies...some of them are just acting like babies.

Marsha - Good observation. I made a unilateral decision (after consulting with my Girl Scout Service Manager). That is probably why they are taking it out on my daughter.

Renee - Thanks for the "luck"..somehow I think I will really need it.

Only Oldest - I am not willing to allow the girls to have any say in whether "Flinger" is allowed back in the troop. We are talking about a girl out of contol. It is my responsibility as the adult in charge to insure the safety of the girls entrusted to my care.

DCRMOM - I don't know if any of the other girls witnessed what happened. (Flingers dad was standing right behind her talking to a mom and didn't notice.) (Amazingly, Flinger and Twelve both tell the same story as to what happened.)

Patches - Thank you... I have already told Twelve how impressed I am at her mature way of handling the situation, and how proud I am of her...I know that she will appreciate having her maturity "valdated" by someone other than her mom and dad.

Andi said...

I would also be concerned about how your daughter emotionally felt about having spit flung at her. Spitting upon someone is one of the ultimate signs of disrespect. :-(