Saturday, March 3, 2007

The Calm Before The Storm

After the Trilogy (see here, here, and for part three...here)...figured I was due for some rest and relaxation...Twelve figured otherwise. I gave her the assignment that Joan, The Erstwhile Librarian, suggested in her comments to me...to have Twelve come up with a list of things I'm allowed to do and a list of things that I'm not allowed to do. Twelve decided that we had to discuss the lists last night. Spent one and 1/2 hours discussing my obvious short comings...and the ways that Twelve feels I need to behave in order to improve my ratings as a mother. Can't tell you how thrilled I was to finally be given the magic prescription to being a "good mom"...by a twelve year old no less! (please note the sarcastic tone in my voice). The good that actually did come out of this was that Twelve had my undivided attention for one and 1/2 hours and she felt that I finally took the time to "listen to her"... I, on the other hand, had the opportunity to really "hear" what's been going on in Twelve's mind... I think that it was a good learning experience for both of us. I guess this was the silver lining in the cloud...oh who am I kidding...this was probably just the calm before the next storm!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You've had a rough week!

Swung by from Wendy's.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog.

I'm not very computer savage and you asked about the slide show.
This is the site I use www.slide.com
It worked the first time doing it and I'm thrilled. Lot of things I do on computer I end banging my head on the wall LOL.
I'm still trying to figure out those fancy Mr. Linky things.

Pam said...

If it's ANY comfort at all, your telling of this saga is very funny. I hope you are able to read what you write and chuckle. Someday Twelve will chuckle too. Hang in there -- the storms will pass. But DO find ways to enjoy those calms between the storms!

Meira{FB} said...

Stopping by from Wendy's. Hope next week is better for you!

Anonymous said...

the time you spent with 12 was well worth it because just the two of you together was valuable. Like Pam said, some day this will be funny and you need to save these.

They will be even funnier when you show them to your grandkids in front of L.

Patti said...

Lynn - I just read about your Saturday. Yikes.

Do yourself a favor today and go someplace alone for a few hours. Buy something fun, whatever it is that you normally deny yourself. ;-)
You deserve it after this week!

jaded said...

It was probably the silver lining and the calm before the next storm. Life with teenagers and pseudo-teenagers is many things, but it is never boring or uneventful. I'm not sure if teens inspire all the DRAMA in tv theses days or if DRAMA on tv inspires teens.

Joan said...

I am so glad I could be of some assistance and I'm glad you and Twelve finally had the opportunity to have a heart-to-heart talk. Enjoy the calm...it most likely will be a short respite.

meno said...

It's these little calm moments that will get you through the next storm. It almost doesn't matter what was said, she feels listened to.

You should come up with a rating system. "Today i am a 6.8" "I have sunk to a 4.1" and "A recent surge in the mom poll has brought me to a 7.9."

Lynn said...

Vader's mom - Thanks for swinging by.

Peppylady - Thanks for sharing the slide show website with me.

Pam - I'm glad that someone is enjoying my discomfort:~)

Mysteriouslady - Thanks. I hope so too.

Only Oldest - Will they still have computers then...and will I still remember how to use one?

Patti - Thanks. I got my haircut yesterday...that was quite relaxing.

Patches - Whether TV drama is inspired by teens or whether it inspires them...I just know that there is a whole lot of it(drama) going on in my home right now.

Joan - Thanks alot! (You can decide if I said that genuinely or sarcastically)

Meno - The rating system sounds great...from my past performances, I don't think I'll get much beyond a 5.0!

Renee Nefe said...

sorry to take so much humor from your pain. I know this will come back to bite me in the rear sooner than I think.

I have a 12 in the making.