Thursday, March 29, 2007

I Couldn't Dance Tonight

I am so disappointed! The Board of Directors annual meeting for the association where I live was held tonight. I got snookered into being on the board 7 years ago. For the past 6 years, I have said that if someone else wanted to be on the board, I would happily step off. For the past 6 years, no one else has been dumb enough to want to run...until this year. There are two openings on the board this time...my position, and the board presidents position. Two people, plus the board president were vying for for the two open positions. I have been counting down the days until the meeting tonight where I anticipated being relieved of my board position.

The voting was by secret ballot. What this meant was that people filled out their ballots, put them in an envelope, and put that envelope into an outer envelope that contained their name, address, signature. Unfortunately, someone at the management company made a mistake and accidentally opened up the outer envelopes. When these outer envelopes were delivered to the "election ballot counter" she could not verify that there wasn't any ballot tampering. (you must be kidding me...the future of the free world does not hinge on this election!) So the election could not take place tonight. It has to be postponed until the end of April. I remain on the board. Darn it...I wanted to dance with joy out of the room tonight... now, I have to wait two months until I can dance.

8 comments:

Patti said...

Sorry you didn't get out of that position as you had hoped.
I'm not that good with math, but wouldn't the end of April be one month away?

Joan said...

OK...you knew it was too good to be true. Are you sure this wasn't some evil plot to keep you on the board a wee bit longer? Drat!

jaded said...

Home Owners Association Boards can behave as ridiculously as student councils. It's no wonder I have hard time taking any governing body seriously. Hang in there Lynn. The way time has passed this year, two months will be over before you know it.

I have a suggestion regarding your need for a little time for yourself. Feel free to laugh profusely and tell me how ridiculous my suggestion is later....Set aside fifteen to twenty minutes for yourself everyday (30 on weekends if you can), make sure hubby and kids understand that this is your time and you are not to be disturbed. Do whatever you have to do, close a door to your bedroom, or spend the time outside. Sit down with coffee or tea (choose your vice) read a few minutes, or just relax. 15 minutes usually doesn't make or break a 16 hour day. After you do this for a couple of weeks, you will start to look forward to it. You will know that everyday you'll have an opportunity to clear your head. If the kids aren't cooperative, consider getting up a little earlier or stay up a little later so you can claim a little time for yourself.

Lynn said...

Patti - Evidently in my haste to reduce my time on the Board, I wrote April...it's really May!

Joan - Are you in touch with the wacko's who live in my community, who stated that it was a conspiracy by the management company to keep the Board President and myself on the board longer???

Patches - I'm going to post your comment/suggestion all over the house, giving everyone notice of my intentions...then I am going to follow through and capture some "relaxation time" for myself! Thanks.

Patti said...

I love Patches' idea! And Lynn, don't forget you did say you were going to take yourself shopping this weekend!

Renee Nefe said...

Go smack that management company person and make them do your job. ha ha

That sucks! When we first moved into our house we thought it would be a good idea to go to our HOA meeting. Well wouldn't ya know it, they were deciding to up our HOA dues to include trash service. DH & I were all for it because it was choose your own trash service and there were like 13 different trash trucks comeing to pick up trash!!! But the rest of the neighborhood didn't wanna pay any extra to the HOA, so it was a big broohaha. I rolled my eyes and took DD to the library. They never even voted that night.

We now just send in our proxy.

Renee Nefe said...

I think you're totally right about the "stupid" people wanting me to just give up on them.

Some are going to be in for a rude awakening though...they never paid last year (and probably the year before that too, but I don't have that record to prove it...DARN IT!) so I put two years' worth of dues on their invoice and it says it's past due. LOL I doubt that we'll hear from them. But it was worth a shot.

Lynn said...

Patti - I will definitely take myself shopping this weekend. (think big box store)

Renee - I received 30 emails today from angry people in the community wanting to do just that! I am so sick and tired of the people whining, complaining, and threatening to sue the association. That is part of the reason that I don't want to be on the board anymore.