Monday, March 5, 2007

Stop The Presses!

Stop the presses!!!!!!! Twelve told me that she loved me this evening. Yep...the words "I love you mom" actually passed from her lips. I know that I heard her correctly because, after I lifted my jaw off of the floor, I looked at hubby ( who was standing there with his mouth wide open) and I asked him if he had just heard Twelve say "I love you mom" ?

I couldn't believe my ears. I hadn't just given her anything, or done something for her. I was just standing in the kitchen with hubby and she walked by and said those words all sweet and innocent-like... After the week that we just had, I can't help but wonder if there is some ulterior motive. I mean, what does she want from me?...What could have possibly compelled her to utter those words?...Could it be that she was feeling bad about the way she acted this past week (as in, she has a conscience) ? Could she actually feel some appreciation for all that I do for her? ( yeah, right)... Could she just have had a momentary "brain fart" and forgot that she is twelve years old and her job is to hate me and drive me crazy? (that's a possibility)... or could it be that the sweet little girl, that I have loved for all her life, decided to come out to remind me that she's still in there somewhere, and that I should hang in there, even when the going gets tough.

I guess what matters is that she said the words. Despite all that has gone on between us, I will choose to believe that she actually meant them...and I will revel in the warm feeling those words gave me. That is...until she decided that she hates me again.

10 comments:

jaded said...

If you want to believe that she wants something in return, then just pretend that she wants you to love her back. She probably does....The wonderful kid you had when she was eleven is making an appearance. Remember as a mature adult you are typically more in control of your emotions than she is.

Patti said...

I would just revel in the warm feeling and enjoy!
Your life reminds me more and more of a roller coaster ride.
Not that I have ever ridden a roller coaster, but I understand the concept.

Lynn said...

Patches - I always love her...even when I don't like her behavior.

Patti - I used to love roller coasters...now they just make me nauseous. :~)

Renee Nefe said...

AWWWWWW! I know how happy your heart must be right now. Makes you wish you could have recorded it so that the next time she's in that hateful mood you can replay it.
I heard this rumor that this stage doesn't last all that long and that eventually you'll have your sweet girl back.

Funny, my DD promises me that she'll never be like that. ha ha ha I remember saying that too and I also remember being that hateful gal.

Anonymous said...

I swear it sounds like you are on a roller coaster ride wilder than the Rocket at Coney Island.

Keep the faith and hold on, this ride will also end one of these days and you will laugh that giddy, grateful laugh like you did after the Rocket.

sari said...

One of my favorite comis (Zits) had a strip about this this week.

The son told his parents he loved them, and they made him take a urine test so he was late for school.

Made me laugh.

I'm glad you're getting along well and the love's flowing! :-) that's always nice.

Pam said...

I suspect that the big long talk you had with her had something to do with it. She vented, you listened, she cleared her own head. At least temporarily, anyway! Glad you were given an unexpected moment to enjoy. I'm sure that more are on the way. Eventually...

Lynn said...

Renee - Yeah, I remember Twelve, when she was eight telling me that I was the "bestest mommy in the world and that she would always love me" (I should have had her write it down and sign it)...A tape recorder...why didn't I think of that?

Only Oldest - It is quite some ride!

Sari - Boo hoo...I missed that comic...Reading what it was about made me laugh too! Thanks.

Pam - I think you are right...she vented and feels calmer...thank goodness! I will try to enjoy it while it lasts.

Marshamlow said...

So glad you had the I love you. They are so sweet when they want to be!

Joan said...

Enjoy it when you can and dont worry about ulterior motives...you'll find out soon enough if there are any.