Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Quirks

I don't know the root of my "quirkness" but I am ready to share it with you...maybe someone can help me find a cure. When I go to the store for something, often I will buy more than one of the product, even if I really only need one. I could say that I do this because I am a busy mom and I don't know when I'll find time to return to the store, so I buy extra...just in case. I think that reason sounds good, and sometimes it is even true, but often I buy extra for a totally different reason....I'M AFRAID THAT THE STORE WILL RUN OUT OF WHAT I WANT, they won't carry the product that I like anymore, or the manufacturer will discontinue making the product.

I don't have any idea where this irrational fear comes from. Actually, it is probably not so irrational. There have been times when I have found a particular product that I really like, only to return to the store when I am running out to find that they no longer carry said product, or that the manufacturer no longer makes the product. I find that quite frustrating. It's not that I am a rigid person (I like to believe that I have great flexibility), but I know what I like.

Today, I went to a large store (think red bullseye) to buy some cleaning supplies. While I was there, I passed the deodorant aisle and thought to myself..."I could probably use some more deodorant". Not that anyone is interested, but I have used a deodorant stone for many, many, many years and recently switched to a "roll on" version of the deodorant stone. (See, I am flexible). Well, when I went to look for the "roll on" version, all I saw was large quantities of a "spray on" version. Until I got down on my knees and looked waaaaaay in the back where I found two lonely roll-on versions. Needless to say I bought them both.

Does anyone else have quirks? Will you share yours with me? I promise I won't tell anyone...Girl Scouts honor!

12 comments:

TuneQueen said...

I have that quirk too sometimes. I think mine comes from finding a product that I really like and then going back to the store to get more and they don't make it anymore.

The only problem with that is that I like the product even more after I've had 2 and then there's none left. :)

jaded said...

"Does anyone else have quirks?". LOL. Sister we ALL have quirks. We're often too thick headed to recognize them. Mine is two part. First, we have two food bowls. I will only eat out of one, it doesn't matter if the other one is full and mine empty. I only want to eat out of THE bowl. My second quirk is being fed breakfast. I insist that Missus Chica feeds my breakfast each morning she is home. If Mister Hombre fills my bowl and allows her to sleep late, I do not acknowledge him and a continually ram my head against her bedroom door until she awakens : )

Missus Chica buys multiples for many of the same reasons you mentioned, but the main reason she does it is she hates shopping for groceries, clothes, and household item.

meno said...

No quirks here. *twitch twitch*

I swear there is a person from the lingerie world who follows me around and when i find a bra that fits, they have it discontinued.

Renee Nefe said...

I do that too...because I have gone back and they won't have the product that I want anymore. DD & I found Fig Newton bars once and I just bought the one package...well now we can't find them anywhere!

Oh and I've been known to buy very similar shirts over and over. I bought DD two shirts that are very similar and are made by the same company. I bought DH two blue corderory shirts in the same shade...and you don't even wanna know how many of the same shirts I have.

DH says it's proof that I'm a compulsive shopper...I say I just know when I like something.

Pam said...

I think it's nothing more than what everyone is saying - you like what you like and might as well stock up. For me it's slacks and another item - if I find a good fit, I buy two. But never at Walgreens.
;-)

egan said...

This isn't all that odd, in my opinion. I do the same thing. I don't find it all that bad if it's a product without an expiration date, i.e. deodorant, razors, toilet paper, etc.

I love Target. (tar-jay)

Lynn said...

tunequeen - You're right, it's hard after you run out of the extras.

Patches - I see nothing wrong with preferring one bowl over the other. Does Dirty Girl have a bowl preference? As for Missus Chicca, I too hate grocery shopping. Unfortunately I seem to go every day because I can never seem to plan ahead.

Meno - I think there are hidden cameras all around... and when those psycho executives at various companies hear too many consumers enjoying a particular product, they decide to change it or discontinue it...just to drive us nuts!

Renee - Whenever I find a shirt or shoes that I like, I will usually buy them in different colors...Obviously we both know what we like!

Pam - Would the "other item" happen to be an unmentionable located in the stationary aisle of Walgreens?

Egan - I find the only problem with stocking up is finding a place to store the extras...not that I let that stop me;~)

Patti said...

Lynn I don't see anything wrong with buying extra. You are stocking up!

My question is, what is a "deodorant stone" ?

We don't have those in the Nutmeg State.

Lynn said...

Patti - A deodorant stone is a "stone" made up of minerals (I think mostly salts). There are no chemicals in it so it won't irritate your skin. (You have to wet it each time you use it.) I used to purchase them at the health food store. Now I purchase the roll-on version at the red bulls-eye store. I am sure that they have them in the nutmeg state. If not they have them at Amazon.com...hope that helps;~)

Patti said...

thanks for the info, Lynn

learn something every day

Joan said...

OK...I don't think stocking up on items is such a bad thing. After all, aren't you just trying to "be prepared" and isn't that a good thing for a Girl Scout leader? Oh wait...that's the Boy Scout motto. Oops!

Lynn said...

Joan - I think the words "horder and clutter queen" fit best as my motto!