Tuesday, March 13, 2007

From Baseball To Girl Scouts

I have so many thoughts right now, I don't even know where to begin. I guess I'll start with baseball...Saturday, Ten had a baseball game. He decided this year that he wants to pitch. He has a coach who thinks that it's a good idea, (which is very different from last year, when his coach wanted HIS son to pitch along with the other coaches son's and didn't let Ten pitch). For me watching Ten pitch is very stressful... there is so much pressure on the pitcher, and it bothers me that the pitchers gets blamed (by the parents in the stands) for runs that are scored against them, which are due to errors made by the infield and outfield (missed catches, dropped balls, overthrows). (not that the pitchers don't make bad throws...they're ten years old for crying out loud!)

Ten seems somewhat oblivious to it (thank goodness)...but I can't(won't) keep my mouth shut! So...when one of the mothers at the game on Monday started blaming our loss on Saturday, on the pitching (Ten was one of 4 pitchers) I had to speak up! (Her son was one of the kids, dropping balls, missing catches, overthrowing balls)...so I smiled sweetly (actually I was probably grimacing) and said in the sweetest voice that I could muster (sweet, yeah right)..."I think that we have some really good pitchers...too bad that they aren't getting back up from the other kids. All of those errors, that the rest of the team are making, are really allowing all of those runs!" Then I smiled.

Now for the Girl Scout cookie boothing update... Called the Service Unit Manager...she didn't remember the story about the lady, her daughter and the bad checks, but she told me that I absolutely did the right thing and that she was going to get the word out to not only our service unit but to the other neighboring service units. Hopefully with a concerted effort, this woman and her quest to steal from Girl Scouts (and whoever else) will come to and end. One can only hope.

9 comments:

Joan said...

Good for you for being so supportive of Ten's baseball activities and defending his honor against those crazy Little League parents. For gosh sakes...it's only a game folks!!!

Patti said...

You go girl! Some parents can be so obnoxious at some of these games. We endured it at soccer games.
I wish we could get Kid Two into golf. We think he would enjoy it, but it's an expensive endeavor.

jaded said...

Well played with that other mom, Lynn. Missus Chica supports her nephews' interest in baseball and tries to catch a few games each season....Parents of athletes can be a different breed. Often, kids aren't un-sportsman-like until adults set that example for them....such a shame.

Renee Nefe said...

I think you did a great job telling that mom to shut it. I think that many parents need a reminder that cheering for their team or player is great...putting the others down is wrong.

glad to hear that your service unit is doing something...I so hope this lady gets busted, tossed in jail and forgotten about. ha ha okay...perhaps just that justice is done.

Lynn said...

Joan - Evidently to these parents, it is more than a game.

Patti - Our soccer, baseball, and basketball leagues make ALL of the parents sign a form stating that they will be supportive to ALL players. Evidently there are parents who sign the form, without reading it.

Patches - You're right, most kids exhibit good sportsmanship...too bad the parents aren't following their children's example.

Renee - In baseball, there is a job known at "culture keeper". It is the Culture Keeper's job to make sure that the parents remain supportive throughout the game. My hubby is the "culture keeper" for our team...in his absence, I just stepped up to the plate!

I hope this lady is caught and that she and her daughter are required to perform community service in order to try to give back to girl scouting what they have taken. Either that or they should be drawn and quartered! lol

egan said...

I loved playing baseball as a kid, but I'm not sure I want to subject my offspring to angry parents and kids. The sport has become crazy. I used to umpire games when I was 15-16 and man was that ever horrible. Parents are ruthless towards their kids. Hey, I say let him pitch. It's fun to be the spotlight of the game and he can improve, if he needs to.

Lynn said...

Egan - You used to umpire??? Wow were you a brave soul!!! For as many bad things the parents say about the kids...they are even more ruthless towards "Blue". Seems to me that your upcoming offspring will be playing softball, another fine sport!

egan said...

Yes, I was an umpire. The parents are really bad towards the umps and coaches aren't much better. I ejected a coach once and he didn't take to kindly to a 16 year old booting his ass off the field. I'm such a rules junkie the job fit me well.

Hmm.. I'm so mixed on softball. I like fastpitch more. Softball is to baseball as indoor soccer is to outdoor soccer.

Lynn said...

Egan - It will be interesting to hear what you think when you're the coach...cause you know that you will absolutely coach whatever teams "baby girl Egan" wants to be on.