Thursday, February 1, 2007

Losing Independence

I just finished reading a post by "clawless" regarding what happened to them when "Big Momma" and "Big Daddy" could no longer safely live independently and needed to be move to an Assisted Living facility. It got me to thinking (which can sometimes be a dangerous thing!). I started thinking about my mom, and her journey from independent living to living in my home.

My father died almost 6 years ago. While he was alive, my mother took care of him...taking him out to lunch everyday and looking after his medications. When he physically began to fail, my mother decided to hire someone to come in and help him get up out of bed, walk to the bathroom, get dressed. During that time my mother (who was in her late 70's at the time) continued to work two mornings a week. She said that she worked to give her some time away from my dad, I think she liked feeling wanted/useful/needed, plus I think she enjoyed the mental stimulation and personal relationships that she developed at her work.

After my dad died, my sister and I began to notice a gradual change in our mom. Over time (about a 12 month period) we noticed that she began restricting her driving to two places in her long term memory ( a restaurant that she and my dad used to eat at a lot...and the pharmacy where she picked up her prescriptions). We started to worry when she no longer went out to lunch everyday... saying "I was too tired", "I didn't feel like going out" or "I didn't feel like getting dressed today". When she went to the doctors, she had lost weight... we figured out that she probably was "forgetting" to eat. It wasn't that she was depressed and wasn't eating (although she may have been depressed missing dad)... she was truly "not remembering" to eat.

My sister and I started comparing phone conversations that we had about our mother, noting that mom was having a more difficult time remembering what she had done that day. We realized , after leaving the state of denial, that our mother... the woman who was self-sufficient and fiercely independent... should no longer be driving., and we realized the only way to take away her driving privileges was to move her out of her apartment. The big question was "Where would she live?"

Both my sister and I realized that it would be too stressful for us, if our mom moved into some sort of "assisted living" place. Why????? Because, we both knew, since mom's memory was failing and we could no longer count on her to be a good historian, that we would feel that we "had to" each visit her at least once a week, just to be sure that she was o.k. With two kids, working part-time while they are in school, and then dealing with their "extracurricular activities" I couldn't figure out when I would find the time to visit her. This was stressing me out big time. My husband (for this story ONLY I will call him "Saint") suggested that maybe my mother should move in with us. Now in a movie, the music would reach a crescendo, my mother would be happily ensconsed in my home and the scene would fade away, and you would just know in your heart that my mother was happy in her new home. But hey, this is a blog, not a movie although if you need a bathroom break right about now, go right ahead.

Fast forward about 8 months (it took that long to build a bedroom and bathroom downstairs for my mom to live in). My sister, mom and I cleaned out 30 years of apartment living and tried to reduce moms life into that which would fit into my house. So moving day comes and Mom moves into my house. Both my sister and I figure that we can relax now...we know that mom is eating 3 squares/day and we're figuring that she is being well cared for and so the logical conclusion would be that mom would be joyful and blissful in her new abode. WRONG!!!!!

About 1 month after mom moves in, I find her crying in her room. Now you must understand that this is the same woman who only cried when HER mother died or when she was watching a sad movie. Yet...there she was, crying! My first thought was to sneak away and pretend that I didn't see her crying. (I tried to rationalize it as "giving her privacy to work through her feelings)...Of course that was b.s. I was uncomfortable seeing her cry. Yet I tentatively approached her. Just my luck, she actually felt like talking about her tears. (Why couldn't she have picked this time to wipe her tears and tell me that she was fine??????? Couldn't she see how uncomfortable I was...isn't it supposed to be about me, me, me?????) But I digress...

It turns out my mom wasn't unhappy that someone else was making her meals, she wasn't unhappy because someone was doing her laundry, she wasn't unhappy with all the activity that was now going on around her...she was depressed and trying to come to terms with her Lost Independence. She was frustrated that instead of being able to "go to the store, or the post office, or wherever", WHENEVER she wanted, she now had to ask for someone to take her. She didn't like having to ask to be taken somewhere and really, who could blame her after a long life of being able to pick up and go whenever she wanted. I know that I wouldn't like it one bit!!!!!!!

I guess the point of this epic is that it doesn't matter if someone ends up in an "assisted living" situation, or living with a relative...there will be a time of adjustment as the person says goodbye to their independent life and works to accept their new dependence. As for how my mom is doing now...well that's a story for another blog.

7 comments:

Joan said...

Sigh...it's been a long road but a necessary one.

sari said...

Hello,

I'm a tired Momma also, I have two boys, 8 and 5. I often fall asleep before they do at night! And I also have a "part time" job but honestly, it's becoming more and more of a job and less part time as time goes on.

I'm sorry it's a tough change for all of you when a parent moves in.

Don't give up blogging, I went for about a year with nobody reading my blog and now I have made a lot of "blog friends" that I like to check up on and that check up on me. It's a good outlet when you need to talk about things, so even if you think people aren't reading, they will. Of course, I didn't tell anyone I had a blog for months, ha ha.

Talk to you soon!!

Sari

jaded said...

It's difficult to alleviate a guilty conscious when you don't feel good about doing the right thing. Doing what's best for others should make you feel good about your decisions. The seniors that are in an ALF are actually Missus Chica's in-laws, known affectionately as the One Eyes. They have been there for about ten days and the Missus and the Mister have been to see them twice. The first visit went well, but during the second visit (one day later) the passive aggressive side started making an appearance.

Knowing what is in our best interest, isn't enough to override our egos when our independence is at stake.I know that you're in for a long tiring haul, Lynn. Just know that you are not alone in this, and remember to embrace good days when they make an appearance.

Lynn said...

Joan--- ain't that the truth.

Sari- Hi to you. Nice to meet another tired mama. We all have to stick together!

Patches- Sorry for the mixup. I now have had more time to read through your previous posts and think that I have everyone straight, in my mind at least. Good for Missus Chicca for talking to her mom! And as for the cranky One Eyes...just cause they're old, unhappy and miserable, doesn't give them the right to make everyone else unhappy and miserable... and you can tell them I said so!

Anonymous said...

I really believe that mom's independence loss was a very temporary one and there is no doubt she has been happy living with you. It's been hard for all of us to watch her memory deteriorate. Now I feel she is at peace with remembering the far past. As long as she remembers and knows us now, we still have her within our grasp, and can still give her joy even if it's for a few moments at a time. She has been our rock for so long, and we will always owe her these happy moments. We have been a very lucky 5 to have the legacy of the love Auntie E and mom gave us and we will always be strong because of it.

Pam said...

Hi Lynn - This post touched me because I take care of my Grandma. Well, she is 93 and lives in an assisted living facility now but being the only one living in the same state with her, I took care of her for several years and eventually had to walk her through the loss of her independence. It was so sad...for both of us.

You are doing a wonderful thing for your mother.

I like your blog.

Patti said...

Hi Lynn,
I was just looking through your previous posts and saw this one, which touched me.

I'm glad we (and others) have found blogging as an outlet for our frustrations and emotions.