Saturday, February 24, 2007

Do You Follow Your Own Advice?

Spent the day, Saturday, taking three of my girl scouts on a 140 mile drive (one way) to attend a workshop on "protecting themselves from being assaulted". There were about 35 girls ranging in ages from 12 to 16 attending this workshop. All of the girls in the troop were invited to attend, but only three of the girls in my troop (really only three of their moms) thought it was important enough for their daughters to attend. The speakers talked about: saying "no"...using assertive strong voices, staying in groups and not putting yourself in compromising situations, and simple things such as...not opening the door to someone just because they're in a uniform, or if your car breaks down and your cell phone doesn't work and someone offers you a ride to the nearest gas station, do not open your car window or door, instead ask the person (through your closed window) to please go to the nearest gas station and ask them to send a tow truck for you or ask the person, offering to help you, to please call the police for you...but to NEVER, EVER get in the car with a stranger. Things that most parents teach their children... but I wonder, how many of us as adults follow this advice?

6 comments:

Joan said...

There's a reason we have the old adage "Do as I say, not as I do." As adults, we seem to forget we are all vulnerable and we blithely go about our business without thinking about our own security. We need to realize personal safety should be everyone's concern.

meno said...

I went to a safety talk given by a police woman many years ago. As girls, we are taught to be nice to everyone. This woman taught me that we have no obligation to answer strangers who speak to us.

Good for you for taking those girls.

jaded said...

It's not always about whether you follow the advice, sometimes it's when you follow the advice. Some of us tend to be more confident, actually over-confident when we are on our own turf as opposed to an area of the city that is unfamiliar. I'm guilty of inconsistency. I'm filing away what meno said about the obligation to respond to strangers, that's worth remembering....though most of my responses tend to be abrupt and un-engaging.

Renee Nefe said...

I think in the past I've been extreemly lucky. But I have gotten smarter in my old age too. We have a sign on the front door that says "No Solicitors" When someone doesn't pay attention to that sign...I don't open the door. But I need a peep hole in the door.

re: the dress. Yes, it's cute. But ultimately it's up to the bride. She can probably get a closer match if the dress is sewn and while that will never come in at $22.95, it will be what she wants. DD doesn't like the dress at all...so I don't see her liking whatever we end up with. I hope that it goes to a good home, I'll donate it to charity.

Patti said...

That was great that you were able to take the girls to such an important workshop.

My daughter is in college and her personal safety is on my mind.
I can only hope I have taught her to be cautious.

Lynn said...

Joan - You're right...most adults have the attitude that "it won't happen to me."

Meno - It was great hearing 35 young women using strong, clear, forceful voices!

Patches - You're right...sometimes I find myself letting my guard down because I'm in a "good neighborhood"...as if the will magically protect me.

Renee - I find that my curosity sometimes gets the better of me. I don't have a peephole either, but I have a small window next to the door...of course by the time I look through it...whoever is at the door has seen me. I tell Ten and Twelve not to answer the door, or look out the window...and to stay way back when I do.

Patti - Do we ever stop worrying about our children?