Friday, June 22, 2007

We'll Be Havin' Fun All Summer Long...

(My apologies to the Beach Boys)...Finally, Summer has arrived...and with it, the start of my first summer off of work in a very long time. Yippee! What a glorious feeling to know that the summer spreads itself in front of me with nothing to do and nowhere to go (other than camping in July, and a wedding in August). I feel like a kid again!

My hope for this summer, is to be able to take some time to relax, declutter my house, go to the beach, read, sleep...well you get the idea. And I plan to start these summer activities, at 3:15pm today. Why at 3:15 you ask? Well, I somehow (I really don't know what possessed me to do it), volunteered (there's that word again) to help out at a Girl Scout Day Camp today. Twelve and her friend Eventempered, volunteered to be Program Aides at the camp this summer. The camp only runs for 1 week...and wouldn't you know it, today is the last day and Twelve asked me to please volunteer to be there for the day...so I did.

I haven't been to camp in a long, long time. Since I happen to have very fond memories of day camp, from when I was a kid, I guess in reality I will be starting my Summer Fun at 8:15 this morning. So today officially starts my first day of summer (I know the Summer Solstice was yesterday)...and I can't wait to get it started. For those of you that have to work this summer...I'll be sure to catch a wave for you;~)

IRELAND UPDATE ALERT:
On another note...for those of you that are interested, here is another update from Joan:

HI! We've spent two days here in Ashford Castle which is everything the brochure said it was...glorious and stately. The grounds our incredible and we took a walk along some of the paths leading to various gardens etc. The John Wayne/Maureen O'Hara movie "The Quiet Man" was filmed around this area and we saw some of the cottages and the bridge made famous in the film. Our dinners have been scrumptuous and the service top-notch. I hope my photos do it justice.

Yesterday we visited Kylemore Abbey which was beautiful...today it's a river boat cruise and then back to Dublin for our last two days. The rain the past few days has managed to come only while we were on the bus or in the castle so we've managed to stay dry for the most part. We even saw some blue sky and sun yesterday...today it looks overcast and stormy.

I think we're all about ready to come home so the 11 day tour was the perfect length. Riding in a bus get's really weary after a while and I seemed to have developed a bit of motion sickness (particularly when sitting in the back of the bus). It doesnt help that I'm a bit claustrophobic. Bus touring, however, still beats driving a car here...the roads are incredibly narrow and then there's that thing about driving on the opposite side of the road while sitting in the opposite side of the car.

9 comments:

Patti said...

Lynn: Happy vacation! Relax and enjoy.

I can understand the motion sickness thing Joan is talking about. Especially if she can smell the diesel fumes.

jaded said...

You are a glutton for punishment aren't you? Seriously, you are a good mama. You should re-title your blog, A Good Tired Mama.

Sounds as though Joan is having a fabulous time!

Renee Nefe said...

DD loves to help out too, so I can totally see her as a Program Aide when she's older. That will be fun.

We're getting ready for our trip next week and now DD thinks that she'll be bored there so she doesn't want to go. WHERE in the world does she come up with this stuff? We'll be at the mercy of the bride for just two days...but I'm sure it will all be NOT boring. Oh well, we can't back out now as the tickets are paid for.

She's also getting nervous about going camping. Too late to back out of that too. I know she'll be fine...she just thinks about the unknown too much.

Pam said...

You've earned a nice long break, Lynn. ENJOY! I have beach-envy, though... bummer for me. Once you've lived near an ocean, the lakes just don't do it for you.

Sounds like Lynn will have lots for show and tell when she returns!

armalicious said...

Hooray for summer vacations! I love it that you volunteered again. I do the same thing...i know better, but does that stop me? hell now. oh well.

I'm still so jealous that your sister is in Ireland.

And I'm a little scared to do the word verification down there...some of these are so hard to read!

Lynn said...

Patti - Now that Twelve and I are back from camp, relax is my new mantra.

Patches - You're right, I am a glutton for punishment. For a new name, I was thinking more along the lines of "A Good 'N Tired Mama" :~)

Renee - Twelve just earned her Program Aide patch and certificate...I will pick up her pin on Tuesday, when I go to the Girl Scout store.

Pam - We love the beach! It's a fast 20minutes through a canyon, and then we're there...too bad I can't blog from there.

Arm - I can't seem to say no when people need help. The word verification scares me too sometimes. There are instances where I have to do it about 3 times to get all of the letters correct. How hot is it in LV right now?

Ralph said...

I like the other B-Boys reference to Catch a wave (and you're sitting on top of the world). The clutter can wait!:>)

Michele said...

Oh Lynn, You so deseve a wonderful and relaxing summer. I hope that you take time for yourself as well as for others. You are truly an awesome person that you are able to stretch yourself between so many tasks. Incredible. Have a good one!

Lynn said...

Ralph - Don't tell anyone...but the ocean actually scares me. I'll boogie board with the kids...but my heart pounds the whole time.

Michele - I plan to enjoy myself. You are way too kind:~)