Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Another Irish Update...

Here are two days worth of updates from Joan. (Sure wish I would have been there yesterday instead of at school #3). The first two updates are from yesterday... #3 is from this morning. The internet is a wonderful thing! I love getting email from Joan...somehow it helps me not miss her as much.



#1.Well...I wished for Irish weather and it's exactly what we have! It rained yesterday afternoon and evening and the forecast for today and the rest of the week is rain, rain, rain. Except for making the views of the glorious landscape gray and foggy, it's been nice to see a little weather...so much different from the sun, sun and more sun we're used to.

#2.So here we are at the Dromoland Castle. Our lovely room is in the basement...or should I say dungeon? It is drizzling at the moment and I guess we need to tour the grounds with our Goretex jackets and umbrellas.


...And from this morning...
#3.Hey! So we spent the night in what seemed to be the basement floor of the Castle Dromoland in what we are calling the dungeon "wing." The room was fairly small but well appointed and, for the most part, quiet. There is no air conditioning in castles apparently (duh) so the room got a little musty and dank but isn't that what a castle is supposed to be like? Dinner last night was only so-so in the lovely dining room. The tour members were only offered a choice of Irish beef or sea bass and, since I had sea bass the night before, I tried to pass on both entrees. They were kind enough to offer me some chicken instead which was better.

It looks dark and stormy outside (so what else is new) but I think the rain has stopped for at least the moment. Today we leave the castle and make our way to the Cliffs of Moher. After that, it's on to the Castle Ashford where we spend 2 nights. I'm hoping our room there will be a little bigger and nicer but it's the flip of a coin. You get what you get!

9 comments:

Renee Nefe said...

Even with all the rain, it still sounds like an awesome experience. Glad you're able to keep in touch with her. Love the internet.

Our hotel in VA had free internet when we were there. I wonder if our hotel in MI will have that...it didn't the last time we were there. I should go check. I suppose I could check on my SIL's computer, but that would mean extra time with the family.

We're being so mean...come check my blog for details. I plan to post it in a minute.

Natalie said...

Hmmm. I suppose that sleeping in a castle wouldn't be all that romantic with the "musty and dank" rooms. But it sure sounds cool doesn't it?

armalicious said...

I want to sleep in a castle!!!

Patti said...

Castle living sounds like fun, since it's only "temporary."

Glad they are doing well..

Michele said...

Oh, I love the updates... Castle living sounds so regal! I would've taken the sea bass on both nights! Mmmmm... but then I'm a vegetarian!
That's why you always see pictures of such wonderful greenery in Ireland because there's so much rain...
Thanks again for the updates and I'm glad to be back!

Lynn said...

Renee - Many years ago, I went backpacking through Europe for 11 weeks. I arrived back before my postcards did. I love the internet.

Natalie - Dank and musty sure put a hamper on the romantic aspect of a castle, but I'd still love to try it out.

Arm - Aren't there any Castle themed hotels in LV? Check that out this weekend and let me know.

Patti - It probably is fun...as a novelty...I'm thinking it's breezy and cold in the winter months.

Michele - Since I'm a vegetarian too...I would have starved. lol

Ralph said...

Is it dark and stormy during the day, too?

Michele said...

Lynn, I got you a Rockin' Girl blogger button... come and get it on my site.

Lynn said...

Ralph - I think it is.

Michele - Thanks...I'm going over there now;~)