Monday, June 25, 2007

It's Gonna Be A Long Summer...

First real day of summer vacation...and I can tell that it will be a long summer. If I hear one more chorus of "I'm bored, there's nothing to do." I think that I will scream.

Decided to take my mom, Ten and Twelve to see the movie "Nancy Drew". We were all settled in to watch the movie. About 1 hour and 15 minutes into the movie, lights started flashing in the theater. Now please understand, that I have been to many movies in my life, and sat in many theaters, and have never had lights start flashing in the middle of a movie. At first everyone thought that it was a special effect from the movie (it actually fit into what was going on at that moment.)

The movie and flashing lights continued and then we heard a siren/alarm. Amazingly everyone stood up in an orderly fashion and proceeded to the lobby of the movie theater. We were told that it was a false alarm, that a bird had set it off, and that we could go back into the theater to watch the end of the movie. Unfortunately, the theater could not seem to turn off the alarm so everyone was given passes to return another day to see the movie.

If you think about it, and clearly I did...giving everyone a ticket to replace the ticket they bought, really wasn't 'giving anything away' from the theaters perspective. All of the people in the various theaters had already purchased their drinks and snacks. If they come back to watch the movie again, they will purchase everything again...and the theater will come out ahead. This of course, doesn't take into account that everyone will have to sit through 1 hour and 15 minutes of the movie again, just to get to the part that we missed.

(On a side note, one of Twelve's friends was also in the theater , and this was the second time that this had happened to her...at the same theater.) Now normally, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but in this case, I wonder...is the movie theater hurting for money...and using this alarm thing to make more money at the concession stands?

Clearly...if this is what I am spending my time thinking about, it will definitely be a long summer.

14 comments:

jaded said...

I didn't know you were such a conspiracy theorist. Seriously, you're right about the ticket comp business. Lots of businesses do stuff like that to bring you back, restaurants, airlines, all savings off your next purchase. Part of the reason is the want an opportunity to prove themselves under what will hopefully be better circumstances.

Nancy Drew any good?

the moose buyer said...

If it happened before in the same theatre, it sounds like more than a co-incidence to me too.

You might be right about the food concession though. The prices are sure high enough and they do have a captive audience.

Renee Nefe said...

I wouldn't put it past them.

A friend went to our theater and brought her own snacks. She said as soon as the lights went down you could hear the *hiss* of everyone else popping open their sodas. LOL! But for some odd reason she decided to get the kids snacks at the concession stand...thought the kids snacks were $3 something each...nope that was with an adult snack purchase...ended up paying $19 for two small popcorns & two small drinks (loaded with ice of course!)

meno said...

We often bring in the forbidden "outside food" so they wouldn't make any more money from us. But i like the theory.

Lynn said...

Patches - Surprisingly (I say that because I really thought that I would be bored) we all enjoyed the 'Nancy Drew' movie...at least what we saw of it.

The Moose Buyer - There is definitely something 'fishy' at this big chain movie theater.

Renee - The prices are outrageous at the movie theaters. Between the tickets and the food...shame on them. We usually wait until movies come out on DVD and then just buy the DVD...it works out cheaper.

Meno - Shhhhhhh...don't tell anyone, but we bring forbidden food into the theater as well. The only thing that I purchase for Ten and Twelve, are ICEE's. Which for them is quite a treat. Heck, if they didn't give me a brain freeze headache they would be a treat for me too!

Patti said...

We usually bring something to eat too, but we haven't been to the movies in a while. That 'Ratatouille' looks like a good movie.

Lynn said...

Patti - With you and DH having such a penchant for food...I suspect that "Ratatouille" will be right up your alley.

Ralph said...

Lynn the real trick is to convince your kids that anything is better than cleaning their rooms in the summer...nothing to do, then why don't you clean your room, the bathroom, the garage, or whatever? They will decide that they weren't so bored after all...No matter what happened at the movie, it was very thoughtful that you treated them to the movie

Lynn said...

I try the "Oh you're bored...why don't you clean up your room, put the dishes away, pick up your socks from the floor." The usual response is (said with a whiny voice) "Mo-om I'm serious. I'm bored. What can I do?" If I repeat my answer once again...the whine becomes even more pronounced. As far as the movie goes...I've been reminded that we still have to go back to see it so that we can see the ending. ICEE's anyone?

Michele said...

With so much technology out there, I think kid's brains turned to mush and they can't think for themselves anymore. When I was young, bike riding, building forts (I was a bit of a tomboy), playing sports with the neighbor's kids, arts and crafts, swimming, going to the library, gardening, painting people's fences for money... we used our imaginations. The summer has just started but hopefully they will find things to do on their own and give you a little breathing room. Good luck!

Joan said...

Ah yes...the weekly summer trip to the movies. Do you remember how mom would take us every Wednesday to the movies since this was the day the films would change in the theaters? Of course, we never had the thrill of having to evacuate the theater due to fire alarms...now that would have been a fun story to tell when we got back to school in the fall. :~)

Lynn said...

Michele - Where we live, it seems that you have to schedule playdates. It seems that there are so many more rules and regulations about what can and can't be done, that it makes it harder for kids. I'm hoping, as the summer progresses that Ten and Twelve will find their rhythm.

Joan - I do remember going to the movies...they were always double-features and it cost like 50 cents to get in. Oh those were the days.

Ralph said...

Lynn, did you two go th he Bell Theater on Bell Blvd?

Lynn said...

Ralph - Who remembers...I'll have to ask Joan.