Wednesday, June 6, 2007

It Feels Good To Be Done

The last official Girl Scout event, as a troop, is finally over! We had our picnic this evening, and gave each of the girls their 'Silver Awards'. The parents came, and a good time was had by all.

As a thank you from the parents, my co-leader and I each received a lovely 'Money Tree'. (I plan to plant mine outside, and grow a forest of these trees. I'm hoping to grow back some of the money that I had to spend on my car this week) .

Now you might be wondering if Twelve actually had a good time. Well, she did! Of course that was probably because she was only at the picnic for a grand total of 30-35 minutes. She was at the picnic for about 20 minutes at the start and about 10-15 minutes at the end.

Why you ask, was Twelve only at the picnic for such a short time? I'll tell you why... Twelve's science teacher offered 10 extra credit points if her students attended the school play. It just so happened, that the play which was originally supposed to be last Friday night, was postponed until this evening, the same time as the picnic. Needless to say, even though Twelve, and her friend Eventempered, did not want to go to the play, they wanted to stay at the picnic even less. So, Eventempered's mother drove both girls to the Middle School and then brought them back to the picnic shortly before it ended. It was great for me because, I was able to enjoy myself without feeling Twelve's annoyance at having to be with the other girls.

I had a lovely time at the picnic, and am greatful that, this year, the parents showed their appreciation. So although on paper, Twelve and I are still registered with the troop... and on paper, I am still the leader...I am very, very glad to finally be done.

16 comments:

armalicious said...

Yay! One more burden off your shoulders!

sari said...

It sucks when something you think is going to be good for your child and make them happy doesn't. I'm glad that it's all over!!

ms chica said...

With the end of girls scouts and the school year (soon!), maybe you guys can have a relaxing summer. Sari's right. It's a shame character building has to be stressful.

Renee Nefe said...

Glad that part is over for you. Our troop meets over the summer, but not as much. I really hope we can figure out some camping time as that was our favorite part.

the moose buyer said...

I am sure you are relieved this scout year is done.

When you plant the money tree, and you harvest the wonderful money fruit, all I ask is that you remember your "oldest" cousin who really can't wait to retire.

meno said...

Scouting can sure teach you a lot huh? Like, never again!

Pam said...

Congratulations on completing a not-so-pleasant job! And when that money tree blooms and drops it's little seedlings, send some my way, ok? We've got plenty of room for more trees.

Michele said...

Ohh... so all these years when parents said, "you think money grows on tree??!!?" we should've said yes... Aaaargh...
I'm glad you had a nice picnic and even happier for you that it's one less burden that you need to worry about.

Patti said...

I was glad to read you had a good time at the picnic and that you are done with this burden.

vacation is coming...

Lynn said...

Arm - And what a burden it was!

Sari - Yeah. While it was good, it was very, very good...but once it turned bad, it was horrid!

Ms Chica - I can't wait to relax...It amazes me how incredibly stressful this school year has been. I am so glad that it's almost over.

Renee - My troop loved camping too...probably because most of them never went with their families. For Twelve it was fun, when it was fun...fortunately we have plans to go camping, as a family, with some friends in July.

The Moose Buyer - Relieved doesn't even begin to describe how I feel. Don't worry, if this money tree bears money fruit, I will definitely share the harvest with my only oldest;~)

Meno - Yep, it took me a long time, but I think that I just got my badge in 'never again'.

Pam - I will happily share the money seeds with you...I'll let you know when I harvest the first seeds;~)

Michele - Clearly our parents were not all that truthful with us...I have the money tree to prove it. Now if I can just find the time to figure out how to take a picture of it an post it on my blog, I will.

Patti - Believe me...I was glad to have a good time at the picnic and am even gladder (is that even a word?)to be done with the burden. Yep, vacation is coming very soon. I have 5 more days of job #2, and 10 more days of job #1...
yippee!

egan said...

I'm glad this bit of work is out of the way. Bring on the summer and less stressful days. Hurray Lynn.

Lynn said...

Egan - You can say that again!

Joan said...

In some ways, I feel like I'm done with the Girl Scout troop as well...no more horror stories to help you through. Now we're both free from it all!

egan said...

As tempting as it is to type the same comment, I won't. Enjoy the weekend Lynn.

Ralph said...

Lynn, you made every effort to be a leader for the troop...You stayed with it through the year, instead of quitting. That's what we want to teach our children: Give it your best effort, which you did.

Lynn said...

Joan - You are done as well...thanks for listening to all my bitching and moaning!

Egan - Thanks for your self restraint, and I will have a great weekend...right back at you!

Ralph - Sometimes it's hard to not be a quitter. I'm glad that I'm on this side of the year.