Monday, October 15, 2007

He Didn't Know Jack...

I believe that I've mentioned before, that I work for a large urban school district. This particular school district decided to roll out a new payroll system this past February, without testing it out first. The result has been thousands of employees being either unpaid, underpaid, or overpaid.

Since February, I have not had two paychecks that have been the same. This month, I received less than 1/3 of my usual pay. I spent 3 hours this afternoon, waiting to meet, and meeting with a "Payroll helper figurer it out sorta" named, "Jack". Only "Jack" really couldn't figure out my payroll history, and instead he came up with some cockamame story, that he thought I would by.

If I could have afforded to buy his story, I might have. Since I received only 1/3 of my paycheck, I wasn't buyin' anything "Jack" was saying( if I was going to buy something it certainly would not have been his explaination). So, I kept questioning "Jack" until he was exhausted, and I finally understood what he was trying to tell me. (Seems that I used to catch on to things much more quickly, sigh)

"Jack" told me that he would have to do some research on my payroll history, and would conduct an audit to see if he could come up with a real explaination as to why my paychecks have been so whacked out for the past 9 months. He gave me both his number, and his supervisors name, and assured me that I would hear from him by next week. I am keeping my fingers crossed, and my wallet closed, and I am hoping for the best.

The district expects me to continue to provide services with the same level of commitment that I have always had. And of course, being who I am, I can't help but provide the best level of service to the students that I work with. I am held, professionally to a high level of excellence, I just wish that my employer was as committed to doing as good a job as I am.

6 comments:

Renee Nefe said...

argh! I haven't had a paycheck in years and I still feel your pain. I do hope he calls sooner and it's all fixed...should be simple...work X hours. X times pay amount minus taxes equals paycheck.

re: me. Brother only suggested that mom come out for the wedding & sonogram. mom suggested trying CO to see if she can take it here for a month. And Mom asked if she could stay here because conveniently brother has his guest room all messed up for his homebusiness. *sigh* when brother came up with this great idea he offered for mom to stay at his house. So since that can't happen, he can pay for her tickets. LOL!

Now I get to finally have Thanksgiving dinner at MY HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, I know it's another stressful day...but it's less stressful than driving to MIL's with the turkey to make it there like last year...or spending the day with SIL's family. And I'll be on my home turf!

Patti said...

Anyone who reads your blog knows you are a dedicated professional, Lynn. Sorry that you have to go through all this just to get paid for the good work you do.

Michele said...

Wow, this just doesn't sound right at all. Sounds fishy and definitely answers are needed. How can a person be expected to put out the same quality of work if they are not getting the same wages they agreed upon in the first place? Sort of takes the wind out of your sails in some ways. I admire the fact that you remain professional through this all even though it has been a frustrating process. Hang in there!

ms chica said...

Perhaps you are entitled to interest on wages not received?

I know it usually doesn't work that way but it is nice to dream. My better half had a paycheck snafu that resulted in having to pay several thousand back to his company in addition to trying to straighten , fica, withholding and who owed tax on what. Maybe when he calls back, Jack will know sh*t. Sorry I couldn't resist...

Pam said...

Not that you would do it, but it does make one wonder what would happen if everyone started coming to work in proportion to their paychecks. Sadly, it probably wouldn't expedite the fixing of the problem.

Hope you get the rest of your paychecks by Christmas!

Lynn said...

Renee - If I don't hear from him next week, I will definitely call him.

Patti - Thanks for the support.

Michele - I will admit that it is tough some days to get out of bed and go to work. However, what I am going through is nothing compared to your place of employment!

Ms. Chica - It would be nice to get interest on wages withheld but I sure wouldn't want to have to pay interest on any overpayments made to me. I'm thinking, if the district underpaid someone they should pay the person and add interest, and if the district overpaid someone that person should get to keep the overpayment. I'm glad you couldn't resist.

Pam - There would be a lot of understaffed schools. On the other hand, there would be plenty of administrators around (funny how their pay hasn't been affected).