Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Big Kahuna Family

I am exhausted! Our trip to Disneyland was a huge success. It started Thursday afterschool when I picked up Ten, Elle, and Elle's friend "T" after school. There wasn't alot of traffic, so we made it to the Paradise Pier Hotel in just under 2 hours.

As we were checking in, the hotel manager came up to us and told us that we had been chosen to be the "Big Kahuna" family of the day. They presented us with a huge bouquet of balloons, 4 pins that are only given to the Big Kahuna family, an autographed photo of Mickey and friends, a picture frame (they took our picture with the balloons standing in front of a Goofy statue), and then the piece de resistance...they upgraded our room from a standard room with a view of the parking lot to a family suite with a view of California Adventure! Here is the view from our room at night.


After we unpacked our suitcases, we walked over to Downtown Disney to look at the shops and to eat dinner. There were alot of people milling about, which seemed strange on a Thursday night. Me, being who I am, started talking to various people and came to learn that this past Friday was "Nevada Day". Evidently that meant that the schools were closed on Friday,in Nevada. (I wonder if anyone was left in the state, or if they all decided to come to Disneyland for a 3 day weekend).

Friday morning, Joan and Rick joined us and we all ate breakfast in the living room/dining room portion of our suite. (I had thought ahead and had brought bagels, cream cheese, O.J. , and water along with paper plates, napkins and a knife). (I just can't seem to get away from being a prepared girl scout leader). We headed over to the Disneyland park, got lockers and then went straight to the new Disneyland attraction "Finding Nemo". It was a good thing that we went over there first thing in the morning because as the day wore on, the line became longer and longer and longer. I don't know about you, but I don't like waiting on long lines, even if I am at the "happiest place on earth".

We decided to take the monorail to the "Rainforest Cafe". It seems that it has become a birthday tradition when we go to Disneyland. If you've never been to this restaurant, it is quite an experience. They have gorillas and elephants that move and make noise, as well as thunder and lightening all while you are trying to eat. For dessert we ordered a volcano cake. (to see a picture of one, check out Joan's blog).


Joan and Rick left about 6:30pm. Ten, Elle, "T" and I stayed until 11:40pm. In that time, we managed to get on every ride that we wanted to get on at least once. We rode "Big Thunder Mountain" and "The Matterhorn" (pictured here) three times, "The Haunted Mansion" and "The Pirates of the Caribbean" twice.
Part of why we were able to get on so many rides, is that Disneyland has a policy that is very wheelchair friendly. There are seperate entrances for people in wheelchairs which bypass many of the long lines. Ten was in a wheelchair all day due to a sports injury. He'll be o.k. if he will just stop re-injuring his ankle.
We had a great time, and look forward to our next visit to the happiest place on earth.

11 comments:

Joan said...

Wow...did we do all that?!?!? I'm exhausted all over again and we left waaaay before you!

jaded said...

That's a full day. I can't believe you guys gave up your view of the parking lot for a bouquet of balloons and a family photo. Tell Ten, the next time you visit the park it's his turn to push around in a chair.

Renee Nefe said...

Hummmm... maybe I should see if my Mom wants to go to Disney. LOL! I'm sure we could get her a wheel chair.

So glad you had a great time...course it's pretty hard not to in "The Happiest Place On Earth!" DD even got bored by all the character visits when we were there. She decided to skip the princesses...would rather ride the rides. She says her favorite character was "Alice" though.

Patti said...

You must be an exhausted Tired Mama now. Sounds like a great time. Thanks for the photos!

I smiled at the bagels and cream cheese and OJ and water... Such a good mom!
Even down to the paper plates, napkins and knife.

Michele said...

Wow, what a great story as well as pictures. You could be a tour guide! You are getting commissions for posting this? Yes? LOL. Finding Nemo is the new attraction hey? Nice. My favorite!! I would give my right arm to go to this place... no maybe my left arm, but either way it sounds as if you all had a fabulous time!

Pam said...

Wow - remind me to take you and your kids along the next time I travel, in hopes that your Big Kahunaness will rub off. What a treat to get the royal treatment and upgrade!

We have enjoyed several birthday lunches at the Rainforest Cafe over the years... good food and a crazy fun atmosphere!

Renee Nefe said...

re: talking to someone about Mr N in my Sunday School class...actually I spoke to someone pretty high up already. hee hee See the reason Mr N can't teach his son's class is because the Pastor's wife teaches it!!! Apparently Mr N tried to stick around for her class yesterday and she tossed him out...so when she saw me yesterday she asked how it went. I tried to be cheerful, but I had to tell her that having him there was "Not such a blessing." She smiled because she knew just what I was talking about. I should really bring it up with the other Pastor as she is head of Education.

sari said...

Glad you had a great time!

I need to go back to Disneyland, it's been a few years and I know it would be fun.

the moose buyer said...

See,everyone knows how special you are. I am so happy everyone had a great time.

Lynn said...

Joan - It was exhausting...but a good kind of exhausting.

Patches - Yeah, it was really tough to give up that view of the parking lot...but alas, someone had to do it.

Michele - We really are fortunate to live so close to Disneyland. However, I look at the pictures near where you live, and they make me sigh.

Pam - We were so surprised! Ten kept saying "I've never won anything before". We all felt very lucky. I had to explain to the kids that they shouldn't ever expect that this will happen again. darn!

Renee - I assume that you are volunteering your services as a Sunday school teacher, you shouldn't have to put up with 'stuff'.

Sari - You really should go, but you might want to wait until the baby is a little bit older.

The Moose Buyer - We all certainly felt very special!

Melinda said...

Wow !! How lucky you all are to actually go to Disney Land. I have always had a dream to one day take my children to it, now they are grown up so my dream has changed and I now hope that one day I will be a Grandma and be able to take my Grand Children. Thanks for sharing the photos they are awesome Glad you had a wanderful time and managed to get on all the rides you wanted to.

Take Care Melinda