Saturday, May 12, 2007

One Huge Step Closer To Being Done!

Just have to report that the Silver Award event, that my Girl Scout troop put on, is now officially over, finished, completed, done and I am exhausted.

This whole year, my troop of Cadette Girl Scouts has been working on their Silver Award. They worked hard to complete all of the prerequisite requirements, and started working on the actual event, known as Thinking Day, the beginning of this year. It has been a long, arduous process in which many obstacles had to be over come...(including the Flinger incident and ensuing fall-out).

Each one of the girls worked hard to complete their portion of the event. Some of the girls worked harder (Twelve and her friend Eventempered). Some worked less hard. However, all together each girl needed to put in 30 hours (not including the prerequisites) directly toward the planning and execution of the event.

Ummmmm, let's see there are 8 girls in the troop, and each girl had to earn 30 hours...well, I'm too tired to do the math, but as you can well imagine, my co-leader and I had to put in a boat-load of hours. It was tough, nagging not only our own daughters, but everyone else's daughters into putting in their hours and getting their work done. It was a huge undertaking, most definitely exhausting, and one that I will not repeat again in this life time.

So now it's done. Seven of the eight girls in our troop earned their Silver Award. Unfortunately the 8th girl did not put in the hours needed towards her award. Now all that is left for me to do, is to buy the actual Silver Award pins, have an end of the year picnic to hand out the awards, and then Girl Scouts is done for the year.

I know what you're wondering, has the successful completion of this event changed Twelve's mind about being done with the troop????? Absolutely not! She is done, I am done and we are done.

Here's wishing you a Happy Healthy Mother's Day!

10 comments:

Ralph said...

Congrats to both of you for the completion of that milestone! This is a great lesson for twelve in that you try to complete what you start...Both of you set a goal to complete the Silver Award, and you did. A realistic goal should be tough, but doable...and you did, great job!

Renee Nefe said...

Congrats to you both on completing this. I don't know if our troop will stay together much less work on our Bronze award. But Yay to you for getting this done.

Oh and Happy Mother's Day to you & Your Mom too.

Patti said...

I also want to congratulate you on completing the Silver Award.
I'm sure Twelve will reap the benefits when she uses the life lessons you taught her by finishing what you started.

Happy Mother's Day ~ Hope you can find time to relax today.

jaded said...

Hope you an your Mom have a happy and relaxed Mother's Day. You put in a lot of hours to get your 24 hr R & R. Please tell Twelve (and I feel like you already have), we we are proud that she stuck it out and completed her Silver Award. Btw We are proud for you too! Hope you two enjoy a peaceful summer.

Lynn said...

Ralph - Thanks. It was a valuable lesson for the whole troop (even the one girl who didn't earn the award). Earning the Silver Award was a tough goal, involving a huge committment and much work, however it was clearly doable, and both Twelve and I are glad it's done:~)

Renee - Thank you. Keep in mind that even if your troop doesn't stay together, Darly can still register as a Juliette, and complete the Bronze Award on her own.

Patti - Thank you, as well. I have always told both Ten and Twelve that if you start something, then you need to finish it (ie: don't start working on a new belt in karate, unless you will work to complete the requirements for the belt, you can't stop piano lessons until you finish the book you started.) I think, that Twelve feels an immense sense of accomplishment right now (and rightly so).

Patches - Thanks. Twelve asked me yesterday if I was going to post about the event. When I told her yes, she asked if she could read my post, which she did. I will definitely allow her to read your comment. Thanks of including being proud of me too, I needed that;~)

meno said...

You are amazing, both of you. You have taught your daughter the meaning of committment. I hope you will be getting a silver pin too. You deserve it.

Joan said...

Yeah...it's over, it's done with! Congratulations to both of you for earning this prestigious Girl Scout award. I can't wait to see the pins...do you get one too as the troop leader? I certainly think you deserve your very own!!!

Lynn said...

Meno - Aw shucks...thanks. Unfortunately, the Silver Award is for Cadette Girl Scouts only, and as far as I know, they don't have anything for the leaders, which stinks. Depending on my mood when I go to the store this week, I may just buy one for myself too.

Joan - Thank you, thank you, thank you. The Silver Award pin is really very nice. Girl Scouts give you a choice of buying a 'silver colored pin' or a real silver pin. I will be picking up the real silver pins this week. I'm sure that Twelve will be more than happy to show it off to you.

Anonymous said...

I too congratulat both you and 12 and I know that you are happy it's almost over. I promise that when 12 thinks back upon this time when she's an adult, she will only remember the good parts and will not understand when you smile and shake your head because only you will remember the tough parts.

Lynn said...

Only Oldest - Thanks...I hope that you are right and that Twelve only remembers the good parts.