Friday, May 11, 2007

Are You My Mother...No, But I Could Be.

Today, I stopped at a local supermarket to buy some items for a Mother's Day Brunch. I was standing in the produce department admiring (yeah, right) the tomatoes, and trying to decide which kind of tomato would slice the best to put onto sandwiches. (Pick the wrong kind and the sandwich becomes all soggy, or the tomato tastes like hard cardboard.)

Clearly this quandry could only be resolved by someone knowledgeable about the subject. I looked around and noticed a man (actually I noticed the back of him...and what a nice back he had) working in the area. So, I approached him.

When he turned around I had to take a step back. Other than my dh (of course, love you honey;~)), this was the most adorable young man, with incredible big brown eyes that I have ever seen. (and believe me, I have seen quite a few). There was not a flaw on his perfect face. His eyes were light and danced as we discussed the pros and cons of various tomatoes. (who would have thought that tomatoes could be so interesting). My heart fluttered, my pulse raced, I felt young again. And then...well, and then I heard the screech of brakes as my brain realized that this fine young specimen of a man could be my son.

When exactly did that happen? When did I go from a young woman to a middle aged hag. (O.K. hag is probably to strong of a word, but I feel so unattractive right now). I used to feel the attraction to and from men when I was younger...now I doubt that I could attract anyone. It's not that I've let myself go that badly...I mean o.k. 20 extra pounds, but what's with the wrinkles? The bags under my eyes? The haggard look that I see when I look in the mirror. When did everyone suddenly become younger than me?

How did I go from feeling young and sexy to feeling old and unattractive? Where did the time go?...and how come I am now old enough to be this young man's mother? Oh, and if you're wondering...he recommended Roma tomatoes.

10 comments:

Patti said...

Hmmm....don't know quite what to say. You've certainly hit a nerve here.
I'd better stick with commenting on the kind of tomatoes to buy. Roma sounds like a great choice.

Whew! I got through that one.
;~)

Anonymous said...

I can promise you that no matter how long we both live on this face of the earth, you will ALWAYS be younger than me and I will always be the only oldest. At least consider in our family you are the second to last youngest.

In case all these blog people are wondering where the name "only oldest" came from, Lynn realized once a long time ago that no matter how many first cousins in our family, there can be only one oldest and I am the oldest of all 5 cousins. I have been only oldest ever since.

by the way, Roma tomatoes are good for spaghetti sauce too.

jaded said...

Do I need to remind you of the gentleman who offered to buy you a drink when you went to pick up your take-out meal a couple of months ago? Helllllllo there! Clearly you've still got it. Just think of how much you could teach the produce clerk (If DH wasn't in the picture, and you were so inclined). If a mature woman were to take the time to show him a trick or two, he wouldn't bother making eye contact with a twenty-year old again (no insult intended to anyone under the age of thirty, just an observation).

Renee Nefe said...

I remember that drink incident too...so perhaps cute produce guy was interested. Or maybe not.

It is kinda sad when we realize how young those clerks are now days...the ones closer to my age are balding and have a tummy on them. Oh and they're all so flirty!

Joan said...

At least you're still young enough to recognize a hottie when you see one. And I'm with Patches and Renee about the drink incident...see...you've still got "it"...whatever "it" is.

Lynn said...

Patti - Sometimes it is safer to 'skirt' an issue. Good call.

Only Oldest - Yes, that you are...

Patches - I figured if anyone would remind me of the 'take-out meal drink offer' it would be you. The thing is, this guy was so 'hot' that it was intimidating to me...which it wouldn't have been when I was younger. (sigh)

Renee - I figure if we notice that a man is balding with a tummy, this produce 'hottie' would certainly have noticed that I am old enough to be his mother. At some point I figure I'll be so old, that I'll flirt with the 'young wippersnappers' and not give a damn. lol

Joan - The guy that offered to buy me a drink, could not possibly compare to this produce hunk. I guess my 'it' is with aging near-sighted men. (phooey)

meno said...

Let me know when you figure it out.

-from a fellow hag.

:)

Patti said...

Aging near-sighted men can have big hearts. And wallets to match.
Woops! Did I just say that??

;~)

Lynn said...

Meno - Only if you promise to do the same for me.

Patti - Yes indeed, you did say that...and it cracked me up;~)

Patti said...

Glad I could make you smile, Lynn!
Have a wonderful Mother's Day.
;~)