Tuesday, July 31, 2007

It's Too Late

At 9:45pm last night, Twelve asked me if I would take her to a new frozen yogurt place so that she could get some frozen yogurt. She even offered to use a gift card that she had received to 'pay' for her own yogurt.

Being the extraordinarily mean mother that I am, I said 'Not tonight, it's too late, but we can go tomorrow'. I had two reasons for saying 'No'. #1, I figured that DH would blow a gasket if I suddenly announced at 10 o'clock at night that Twelve and I were going for some frozen yogurt, seeing that DH was busy reading the new Harry Potter book with Ten at that time. and #2, I didn't want to deal with a lecture from DH as to why Twelve and I shouldn't be going.

I figured that his lecture would include the following points: (which are all valid points, BTW)
1). It's late at night and you will end up going to sleep with all of that in your stomach, which isn't good for you. (directed at Twelve)
2). You had absolutely no exercise today. (directed at Twelve and I)
3). Twelve eats so unhealthfully, why would you take her for frozen yogurt? (directed at me)

Instead, I dealt with Twelve trying to convince me to take her, and when I stood my ground, of course I moved closer and closer to receiving the 'Meanest Mommy Award', which I evidently covet, given that I am so mean.

So, Twelve decided to watch a movie instead. Later on that evening, I told DH that Twelve wanted me to take her for frozen yogurt at 10pm...and what did he say???????

DH: "Oh yeah, everyone is doing that."

I said "Excuse me, what do you mean?"

DH's reply "All of the kids in our area go there late at night with their parents, it's the place to be."

I said: "Oh, I told her it was too late, because I figured that you would be upset if we went."

DH: "Nah, it's the thing to do"

Shows you what I know. So tonight I'm taking Twelve to the frozen yogurt place...that is, if she still wants to go.

14 comments:

meno said...

Just when you think you have them all figured out....

armalicious said...

Men.

the moose buyer said...

I absolutely love the idea of all of you doing this together. You also do understand it's purely the idea of you all going, not the frozen yogurt because you know how I feel about dairy products (UGH).

Renee Nefe said...

LOL! Dontcha hate it when you've got this whole argument based on what you assume your DH would say and then he does something totally different from his personality? Mine gets me like that every single time. Course if it is ever a question between Reason and "Whatever his sweet little Princess wants" she wins every time! *eyeroll!*

Lynn said...

Meno - Exactly, I knew just what he would say...evidently he didn't get the script.

Arm - Yep.

The Moose Buyer - Dh and Ten were already busy reading Harry Potter, so actually it would have just been Twelve and I.

Renee - Yeah, I knew just what he was going to say, and then he changed it up, just to confuse me...isn't that my job?

Ralph said...

Oh, I was hoping for twelve to whine like at the pool and you would at least have the excuse of "No frozen yougurt tonight" big kid time out. DH wasn't really paying that much attention while reading. Sounds like a guy affliction...

Lynn said...

Ralph - Twelve was close to whining. I guess she figured out, for now, that whining doesn't work. DH often doesn't pay attention...I catch him in the 'vacant-eyed-um-huh' mode, quite often. Then he'll say, "Um what did you say?"

Joan said...

So...exactly how did DH know that going for a frozen yogurt late in the evening is the "thing to do?"

Pam said...

Yeah, what Joan said...

Patti said...

Ah yes, the "vacant-eyed-um-huh" mode. I'm familiar with it.

Michele said...

Uh, the thing to do??!!? News to me... never heard of it. Oh well, guess I'm not "with it"... I dunno... have a scoop for me... I love frozen yogurt!

jaded said...

At least she invited you, lesser kids just sneak out of the house....yes at twelve.

Lynn said...

Joan - Evidently his friends have told him.

Pam - See answer to Joan, and welcome back.

Patti - Not Ralph, he would never give you that vacant-eye-um-huh mode look...would he?

Michele - Obviously I didn't realize that getting frozen yogurt at 10pm was the thing to do, either.

Patches - Not at Twelve...do they really? I guess I will have to get an ankle bracelet for her.

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Men ... go figure !?!?!