Saturday, July 28, 2007

Sluggers Return

He's baaaaack. Slugger's mother brought him to my house about 2:30pm yesterday, and he spent the night last night. His mother had to be at work at 6am today. She called and left a message that she may be able to pick him up about 9pm tonight, depending on when her flight comes in. If she gets in too late, Slugger will stay here tonight as well.

Ten and Slugger seem to be having a great time. I am glad that Slugger is here. I have just one question/observation. It seems to me that even though each of Sluggers parents has him with them for one week on and one week off, why wouldn't his mom let Slugger be with his dad when she has to work? and why wouldn't dad want/insist that Slugger be with him, if Slugger can't be with his mom? (that was one question disguised as two, in case you're wondering)

Could these two "adults" (and I'm using that term loosely) be so caught up in their anger that they have lost sight of what Slugger wants? Could the courts have mandated that each parent is allowed to have Slugger with them only a certain number of days, and if they exceed those days then they have to 'pay back' the other parent? (that would be sad!) My guess would be, that although Slugger enjoys being here and hanging out with Ten, if asked, he would probably say that he would prefer to be with his dad when his mom has to work. Now I don't know this for sure, and I may just be projecting my own thoughts, and I'm not going to ask him, because it isn't a choice that I can give to him. I'm just wondering.

The reality is, that if Slugger wasn't with me yesterday through today, he would have been left in the care of a neighbor. I'm glad that he wanted to come here. Now if last night, I could have convinced the boys that they needed to go to sleep before midnight, I would be a more rested camper today. (Did I mention that they woke up at 6am?) Oh to be young again...I think I need a nap.

p.s. In case you're wondering, Slugger's mom seemed as unmedicated, and as sober, as anyone could be. Maybe the last few times that I've seen her were an anomaly...one can only hope.

3 comments:

Patti said...

Yes, I was wondering about the mom's condition. That is good to hear she was sober.

It seems that Slugger enjoys being in your happy household. Good for you for taking him under your wing for overnight.

Hope you can get that nap in today. ;-)

Renee Nefe said...

There could be many reasons that Slugger's Mom didn't just leave him with his dad.

1. she doesn't want to give dad any more time than the court mandated.

2. dad may not want him any more than the court mandated (he may be trying to have a social life).

or the thoughts you had.

I'm really glad that Slugger has a safe place to be at your house.

And I think that Slugger's Mom was just sober because she had to be at work. Perhaps she only gets intoxicated when she's alone...she's depressed?

Lynn said...

Patti - Never got that nap today. But Ten and Slugger have had a great time together, so it's all worth it.

Renee - I am greatful that his mother feels comfortable leaving him with us. She will be here in about 1/2 hour to pick him up. The house will seem quiet.