Thursday, April 5, 2007

It's Thursday...Already

Can it really already be Thursday? I could swear that it was just last week, and I was looking forward to having a week off from work. Now it's Thursday, and my week off is almost over (sigh).

I'm already starting to stress about all of the things that I have to do next week. I'm stressing about two reports that I need to get written by Monday morning. Normally, I would write them at night, but I just found out that I won't be paid for any extra work this week, so I am less inclined to spend my vacation time writing them. But if I don't write them, there will be a big problem come Monday morning. Oh what to do...what to do?

One week vacation is definitely not enough! By the time I am able to wind down and relax (for all of 5 minutes) it's time to start gearing up to return to work. That's part of the reason that I decided to go into the field of Education. I wanted summer's off. So ask me, how many Summer's I've actually taken off? Well, one summer I went backpacking through Europe...but for the most part, it seems that every year, I end up working summer school. And while Summer School only lasts 4-6 weeks, it's still 4-6 weeks.

This year, I would love to not work during the summer, but despite what many people may think...I don't get paid when I don't work. That means, 11 weeks without pay. That's a long time to not earn any money (especially since I just paid $3,600 for my dog's TPLO surgery). If I knew that I would actually accomplish things if I didn't work summer school, then I wouldn't work...my fear is that if I don't work in the summer... I won't have accomplished anything, and I'll feel that I have wasted a summer. What's the point in that?

Of course, I could just continue to procrastinate on filling out the summer school application, and not work by default. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm always amazed at how many people think teachers get paid through the summer. The only thing that tops that myth is the one stating, "You only have to work from 8 to 2:30!"

jaded said...

Listen to your heart on this one.....Do you ever delegate tasks, or chores for ten and twelve? Sometimes there are smaller less critical tasks you can pass on to your kids, like laundry or vacuum. I'm not talking about breaking child labor laws or anything, just pitching in so the whole family has more free time....If I had any real power, I would have made sure that you got three weeks of vacation : )

Renee Nefe said...

My Step-dad is a teacher. Last year their insurance rates went through the roof (they live in FL) and he didn't work the summer. My mom was livid because every bit of savings they had went toward their jacked up insurance rates. I think she's gonna make him work to jobs this summer. LOL!
Luckily the teachers' union decided that if they wanted to keep any teachers in FL they needed to get an insurance plan for them and now their rates are back to something livable.

And it's hard to have a real vacation. The only way I can get DH to really take a vacation is to make us go somewhere...otherwise he spend the entire time working on either our house or his mom's.

hugs

Renee Nefe said...

that was supposed to read "work TWO jobs this summer."

Patti said...

I think you had better continue working summer school. Sounds like the guilt factor of not earning any money for 11 weeks straight would eat at you.

And you must have a system down if you have been doing summer school in the past...

Joan said...

Knowing you as well as I do, I think I'll remain neutral on this one since I actually understand both sides of the issue...to work or not to work summer school. I know you'll make the right decision...you always do.

Lynn said...

Nancy - It amazes me too.

Patches - I wish that you were the Superintendent of Schools...then I'd be off for two more weeks :~)

Renee - Fortunately for me, my school district has great insurance plans.

Patti - You're right...I think the guilt would get to me.

Joan - Thanks for your vote of confidence.