Monday, January 21, 2008

Ode To A Ballad

Last week, Elle had an assignment in her Language Arts class. The assignment was to write a 4 verse ballad and include a chorus. Elle, asked me if I would help her write it... and since she rarely asks me for my help, I was glad to oblige.

I asked Elle what subject she wanted to write this ballad about. She suggested writing one about her ice cold bedroom (her room is always freezing which is great in the summer, but not so great in the winter). After we wrote that ballad Elle said that she had so much fun writing the first one, and that she wanted to write a second ballad, about school. Finally Elle stated that she decided that she wanted three ballads to choose from and that she wanted to have the third ballad be about a vampire. (she had just finished reading two books about vampires).

After all three ballads were written, Elle chose the darkest of the three (the one about the vampire). I am expecting a call anyday now from the school counselor, telling me that she is concerned about Elle's mental welfare... that should be a fun conversation.

(I will post the three ballads, just as soon as Elle gets her grade. I wouldn't want her teacher to google Elle's ballad and find my blog...I don't know if that would actually happen, but I don't want to take any chances)

12 comments:

Texasholly said...

That is pretty cool...can't wait to see the ballads post google wait period.

Marshamlow said...

what a special memory. I love it when Mandy and I do things together. I just got done reading a book about vampires recommended to me by her. Try to find these moments any way I can.

Renee Nefe said...

I think if they do call you about her Vampire ballad that I would just start giggling and say "I wondered how long it would take you to call!"

I'm guessing there isn't any chance of us getting to hear this ballad...right? ;)

slow panic said...

very cool. it's so nice she asked you to work on it with her.

Joan said...

As someone who has had the privilege of previewing these collaborative ballads, I just want to say "job well done!" Now I can't wait to see what grade you and Elle receive...I'm thinking A+.

jaded said...

It's more meaningful when they come to you on their own. I look forward to reading the ballads.

Patti said...

I'm also looking forward to reading the ballads you ladies have created.

Michele said...

Neat, I'm looking forward to seeing the ballads.

sari said...

let me guess...twilight? ;-)

Leanne said...

Wow. I'm impressed. You can do this stuff? I may need to borrow you as my kids get older. I'm personally struggling with second grade math tonight....

I'm looking forward to seeing all your hard work!

Lynn said...

hrh - Elle's sememster ends this Friday. She should have her grade by then..and I will be able to post the ballads.

Marshmlow - It is special when Elle asks me for help...because her requests are few and far between.

Renee - So far I haven't heard from the school. After Elle gets her grade, I will post the ballad.

Jodi - It was nice...and we had fun writing them.

Joan - It will be interesting to see what grade it earns.

Patches - It is more meaningful. I'm thinking the ballads will be released later this week.

Patti - They are pretty good, if I must say so myself. I look forward to hearing your opinion.

Michele - Soon...

Sari - You are correct...she read 'Twilight, New Moon, and now she is reading Eclipse'.

Leanne - My services are available...and I won't even charge for them:~)

Mary said...

Lynn,

How nice that Elle is writing ballads. That is great and she wrote three, which is amazing. I look forward to reading them when you post.

Blessings,
Mary