Wednesday, January 2, 2008

I Have Survived!

I have finally come out on the other side of a horrible stomach flu. Monday morning at 1:30am I woke up Open Both Ends (OBE). Fortunately even in my deep state of slumber, I woke myself up and made it to the bathroom where I proceeded, over the course of the next 7 hours, to alternately hug my toilet, sit on my toilet, and sleep on the bathroom floor...and let me tell you my bathroom floor is not comfortable at all. I don't even want to think of the germs that were living there (that might make me sick all over again). I just couldn't pick myself up to get back to bed in between 'attacks'.

Once I thought it was safe to leave my bathroom, I proceeded to spend the rest of the last day of 2007 asleep in bed. I also spent the first day of 2008 in bed. I couldn't even get it together to turn on the T.V., read a book, or carry on any sort of conversation.

I hope that my ending one year in bed, and starting the new year in bed is not a portent of thing to come. Wait that didn't sound right...I hope that if I'm in bed it's for a good reason...no, no that's not right either...Oh heck...I hope the rest of this year finds us all healthy...and if we're in bed, it's because we want to be there.

13 comments:

Renee Nefe said...

so sorry you had the stomach flu and glad that you're feeling better now. Hope no one else in your family gets it.

DD has spent many days on the bathroom floor too, but it beats running and cleaning up if you don't make it on time.

Happy New Year! I hope that you're all healthy.

Joan said...

Welcome back amongst the living...I'm so glad you're doing better. Now let's hope that completes our family's version of the stomach flu. But a word of warning...I now have the sniffles and sneezes and I'm thinking we're moving on to the head cold version. See what I get for getting my first flu shot this year!!! :~)

Patti said...

Happy to read that you're feeling better! We missed you.

That last paragraph was so funny ;~)

Enjoy what remains of your vacation.

Michele said...

Oh dear... Lynn, most of the folks bring in the New year huggin' that porcelain baby for alcohol overdose but not for reasons you described.... I really hope you are feeling much better. Sounds absolutely dreadful... ugh.
K, as of now, 2008 is going to be the best year of your life and that's an order! :D

Marshamlow said...

Glad you are feeling better, happy new year.

jaded said...

This post brings back memories. Memories I hope to never relieve again. I'm glad you're feeling better and I hope you don't have to relive this memories either.

slow panic said...

That is just so sad that you were so sick. Glad you are feeling better.

meno said...

The only silver lining i can ever find in the flu is that maybe i lost some weight.

But it never lasts.

Glad you are feeling better.

egan said...

Do you have a wifi connection in your bathroom?

I'm glad you've turned the corner. What a pain it had to be. What's up with the acronymn of OBE? That's a new one for me.

Lynn said...

Renee - Everyone in my family, except Sport, has had the stomach flu. It started with my mother, moved to DH, to Joan, to Elle and to me...I am so hoping that Sport doesn't get it.

Joan - I am sorry that you are feeling 'heady'. I'm thinking you would have been sicker had you not gotten the flu shot. Feel better soon.

Patti - I am already getting sad that my vacation is almost over.

Michele - I'm figuring that 2008 can only get better.

Marsha - A happy new year to you too.

Patches - On some level my mother is very lucky...she has absolutely no memory of having had the stomach flu. I, on the other hand, remember her experience with it, DH's, Elles, and now my own. I agree with you, I hope that I never have to re-live those memories.

Jodi - I'm glad that I am feeling better too!

Meno - I've lost about 7 pounds. If I never eat anything ever again, I figure that they will stay off. Otherwise, I fully expect those 7 pounds to find me before the month is up. sigh.

Egan - I definitely could have used my laptop in the bathroom, but I was so sick I couldn't even think straight. As far as 'OBE' ...I've used that term since college. It was just a more polite way of describing what happens with the stomach flu. Consider yourself now 'in the know' :~)

sari said...

I'm glad you're feeling better, being sick is the worst. We've got strep here...I've got an appointment tomorrow to see if I've got it now, yay.

Happy new year!

the moose buyer said...

Happy you are feeling better and just happy that I didn't get it considering I was around both you and Joan.

Lynn said...

Sari - Happy New Year to you as well. I hope that you don't have strep...that certainly wouldn't be any fun.

The Moose Buyer - I'm also happy that you didn't get it.