Thursday, January 3, 2008

I'll Take Staying In The Dark for 2008


I wonder... if I had a crystal ball, and could forsee what the coming year would bring...would I really want to know what was going to happen? Would I take a look? ... Or would I look away?
Given that I am somewhat of a control freak (but only in a good way, lol) one would expect that I would want to know what is going to happen to me and those around me this coming year. But I don't think that I would want to know...I mean, what good would the information be to me if I couldn't change the outcome? I think that having the knowledge of possible impending gloom and doom, without the power to effect a change would weigh heavily on me.

Now if I could somehow change the outcome based on what I saw in the crystal ball, would I then want this information? I don't know. What would happen if by changing the course of events (good or bad) in someones life, I inadvertently caused something even worse to happen down the road? Would I want that power? That responsibility?

Would I find comfort in knowing that something bad was coming down the pike? Or would I prefer to go along my happy way in ignorant bliss? Would I, knowing that something bad was going to happen, start a fight, or emotionally pull back from someone if I knew that our time together was to be measured in days, weeks, or months instead of years? Or would I hold onto them so tightly that I would emotionally smother them?

Generally, I am not one to bury my head in the sand. I prefer to know all the facts and proceed from there. But in this case, I guess that I would prefer to allow for the spontaneity and surprises that this coming year holds rather than having the year all planned out. I figure before I know it, 2008 will be over and I'll be sitting here wondering what 2009 has in store.

12 comments:

Renee Nefe said...

I look forward to the suprise of it all. I get so bummed when I know what my present will be (and this year I knew three Christmas & one birthday present...boo! they so need to hide this stuff better!)

Happy 2008!

Patti said...

I don't wanna know!
I'll stay in the dark too.

slow panic said...

i don't want to know the good or the bad. i'd be in bed with my head under the covers just waiting for it all..

Michele said...

Nope, I don't want to know. I just couldn't handle that, whether it be good or bad...

Joan said...

My head seems permanently ensconced in the dark and that suits me just fine.

the moose buyer said...

I edon't think I would want to know especially if I couldn't change it, or changing would only make it worse. In some cases, however, maybe it would be nice to know. For example I think I would have done some things differently with Frank if I had known he was going to leave us last month.

Texasholly said...

Yeah leave me in the dark too. It is cozier there.

meno said...

I might like to know the future of the stock market, but other than that, no.

jaded said...

Looks like it's gonna be crowded....here in the dark. Did anybody think to bring a flashlight or chocolate?

Lynn said...

Renee - I usually don't like surprises (must be part of my control issues). May I make a suggestion that if you want to be surprised that you don't go looking for your gifts...just a thought.

Patti - We'll hang in the dark together.

Jodi - Head under the covers sounds like a very good place to be.

Michele - Yeah, it would just be too much information.

Joan - Aren't you the least bit curious???

The Moose Buyer - What would you have done differently?

hrh - If my closet door is shut, and I've already checked under the bed...I would then agree that it is cozier in the dark.

Meno - Stock market or lottery numbers...either would work for me.

Patches - No problem...having been a Girl Scout leader, I have plenty of chocolate, flashlights...and for those in need of wine, I'll have some of that too (but I promise I will not get it from Meno's parents, or SIL).

Melinda said...

Hi Lynn,
Hope you had a great Christmas and and I wish you all the best for 2008 whatever it may bring !!
I don't think I would like to know what is happening in my life - seems just way too scary. Best just to take one day at a time.

Take care Melinda

Lynn said...

Melinda - One day at a time sounds good to me.