Sunday, December 2, 2007

Rest In Peace

Early this morning, I received a call from my sister informing me that our first cousin, Frank had just died. Joan had received a call from our cousin Ina . Frank was Ina's brother. Frank was only 61 years old. Way too young to die.

To say that we were all surprised, would be an understatement. Ina spoke with the coroner and was told that Frank died of a massive heart attack. He had been living in Georgia for the past few years. Joan, Ina and Frank's, son Brian, are leaving tomorrow morning to fly to Georgia so that they can: make arrangements for his body to be shipped back to California, take care of cleaning out his apartment, his office, and basically to take care of anything else that can be taken care of while they are there.

Frank was my mother's favorite. He called my mother about once a week, just to see how she was doing, and to make her laugh. And boy oh boy did he make her laugh. When Frank was on the phone with my mom, she would giggle and guffaw at the bawdry way that he would speak to her. And while my mother would soon forget that he had called, while she was on the phone with him she was animated and full of joy.

Although my mother won't remember that he has died, and while she won't consciously think to herself that he hasn't called in a while, the laughter and love that he sent through the phone lines will be missed.


I love you Frank...Rest In Peace.

3 comments:

the moose buyer said...

Thanks Lynn for this beautiful tribute. I haven't seen this picture of Frank and I (taken when we were 7 and 4) for a very long time. I remember everything about that session and how Auntie Evelyn and the photographer couldn't get him to sit still. There were supposed to be 3 pictures taken. One of the two of us and one of each of us alone. There is one of me and this one of both of us. There is no picture of Frank alone. We will all miss him terribly but the wonderful memories of time spent with him will last forever.

jaded said...

Sorry about your loss.

What a moving recollection about Frank. It sounds as if he was a positive preference for many people in your life. May peace be with you and your family.

Renee Nefe said...

I am so sorry for your loss. It never seems like a good time to go to us.

I'm also sorry for your mom. Please give her a hug from us blogosphere folks who while we have never met her, love her. I feel so sad that she'll miss out on her phone calls.