Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Lunch Is Over

Survived DH's family coming over for lunch and a holiday celebration. Having gotten to a place of not caring, I was surprisingly relaxed.

O.K. not totally relaxed, because someone (that would be me) had to get the table and chairs set up. Get out the table cloth, dishes, platters, utensils...buy the food, make some food. Buy the presents and wrap the presents. Well you get the idea. Even though it was DH's family I ended up with all of the work.

Having had an exhausting two weeks, part of me was too tired to care. I did what needed to be done, but I certainly didn't look for any judgemental looks going between his family members. They could have all been shuddering at how 'lived-in' my house is, and I was just too damn tired to notice.

This was a first for me. I tend to want everything to be perfect, and I work myself into a tizzy. Bitchy, grouchy, grumpy (and whatever other seven little guys names you can come up with) usually describe my mood pre-company. Tired, listless, not stressing or caring, are adjectives that described me yesterday.

Turned out, I had a good time. Turned out, I believe they all had a good time too. Turned out even if they didn't have a good time, I chose not to care enough to pick up on their unspoken displeasure or judgements.

I'm guessing that next year, they will choose to have the lunch at one of their houses. Works for me:~)

13 comments:

Patti said...

I'm glad you survived and had a good time at your own party!

Did you get a present??? Or at least a hostess gift or two???

Inquiring minds need to know.

jaded said...

Sounds like this was a win/win for everyone. Congratulations on being so over it.

Mary said...

Congratulations on a job well done. I'm glad that you took a different approach this year and that everyone had a good time. It is the good company and love that makes a family gathering, not the look of a person's house. ;-) I imagine that your house looked perfect to your company.

Love and blessings,
Mary

Leanne said...

Good for you. My DH's family is coming over next week, I'm going to try and remember this post as I run around getting ready.

Why don't the guys do more, does anyone know?

Michele said...

Good times, it's done. Everybody's happy... now next year you get to put your feet up and enjoy yourself as someone else has the joy of doing what you had to do this year. But I'm glad it wasn't as bad as you thought.

slow panic said...

So glad you survived and enjoyed. How is it that we get all the work and the husbands THINK they are doing a lot of work? why is that? why does that always happen?

the moose buyer said...

good for you. I am sure if D had any complaints you would have heard them since she tends to be a "direct" person.

Either way, I am happy it went well.

Renee Nefe said...

I'm glad you're at peace with it all...but I sure would have made DH set up the table...the least he could have done considering.

I'm sure his family will suprise you with the request to be at your house again next year.

Lynn said...

Patti - I actually received a beautiful Wil.ton Armi.tel platter from my SIL as a hostess gift.

Patches - Thanks. It's taken me lots of years and stress to get to this place.

Mary - You know that it's the people not the place that makes a family gathering special...but DH's family really doesn't know that. Fortunately, this year I focused on the good and ignored their judgements.

Leanne - Good luck to you next week. As to your question re: why don't the guys do more...could it be that they don't do more because when they try to take the initiative we tell them they are not doing it right?

Michele - Hopefully next year it will be at someone else's house. If not, I'm counting on my blogging friends to remind me not to get crazed.

Jodi - That's a good question. I am sure that DH thinks that he contributed to getting the house ready...which he did...he changed a light bulb. lol

The Moose Buyer - I'm glad that it went well, too.

Renee - As I told Jodi, he changed a light bulb. Elle set the table. Heaven forbid that they want me to do it at my house again next year.

Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to relax, somewhat, and have a good time. I have those very same dwarfs living with me. Today they were called sneezy, snotty and sleepy.

Patti said...

Lynn: I don't know what that is! Some kind of platter..

Lynn said...

Deb - If sneezy, snotty and sleepy are living with you then you definitely need to get some rest!

Patti - It is a silver platter with an awesome design on it. I have the smaller round platter and a square platter...my SIL gave me the large round platter. It's really a lovely gift:~)

Patti said...

very nice! I hope you enjoy using it.