Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Essence of Volunteering

Last night, I was able to take my Girl Scout troop to a City Council Meeting. We were one of many groups being recognized for volunteering at a city sponsored event. The 7th and 8th grade girls in my troop had never seen any form of government, at work (other than in school) . I thought the meeting was quite impressive. I think it was a good experience for the girls... even though it was a school night and some of the girls were tired. I also think that it was good for these girls to be publically recognized for their service to the community. Hopefully this experience will stay with them, and they will continue to volunteer long after they have finished with Girl Scouting.

The following quote from Marjorie Moore was included in the program...I don't know who she is, but I think this quote is worth sharing, and probably one of the reasons I have chosen (although certainly not consciously) to volunteer. "Volunteering is the ultimate exercise in democracy. You vote in elections once a year, but when you volunteer, you vote everyday about the kind of community you want to live in."

2 comments:

Joan said...

I'm so proud of you, Twelve and the rest of the girls in the troop. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

I have said before that volunteering is a civic duty. Look how many people volunteer for different things every day from helping in New Orleans to marching for civil rights. I find no greater joy than to volunteer doing something I love. Washing dishes at the lodge however isn't one of them.