Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Blahs...

I'm not having a very good day today. I'm overwhelmed, stressed out, and feel like I could cry at any moment.

Aside from the stress of DH not having a job, I am overwhelmed at my job. Since I have 4 different schools that I serve, there is no coordination of assessments and meetings between my school sites. Therefore, what I am currently faced with is 3 meetings tomorrow, 4 on Monday, 1 on Tuesday, 1 on Wednesday. I have had to assess 7 of these students and am required go through the assessments, figure out what each of the students needs, and write a 4 page report for them. Then I have to attend all of these 9 meetings and somehow figure out how to continue to provide therapy for my kids.

There is definitely not enough time in my workday to get everything done (at least not if I want to do it right), so I end up having to write my reports at home. I really resent this. Since I work in a critical shortage field, the higher ups dole out caseloads that far exceed what can humanly be worked with (at least not if you want to provide quality therapy...which I do). The paperwork at times is overwhelming...and unfortunately, this is one of those times.

I have just finished writing up the last report that I need for tomorrow...did I mention that I have 3 meetings tomorrow...and that I only work part-time.?..sigh.

I need a vacation! Fortunately, I will have one week off of work starting Friday 3/14 at 12:40pm...I can hardly wait.

10 comments:

Michele said...

I'm so sorry Lynn that you feel blue... hang in there... vacation isn't too long away.
((Hugs))

Renee Nefe said...

I know I am not the only one who is glad that you do a good job. Too bad the system can't appreciate you the way you deserve.

And I'll take your cookie recommendation into consideration.

I got my last cookie order tonight. YAY! Now all that's left is the paperwork.

slow panic said...

you are under huge stress girl! you enjoy that vacation!

Patti said...

You are doing the work of a full-time employee, that's for darn sure.

Sorry you are so stressed; I know part of it is because of your husband's situation. I'm in the same boat.

Glad you will have a vacation soon.

Marshamlow said...

I wonder what would happen if you stopped attending meetings? Would the fire you? I am such a bad influence. I do hope that you enjoy your vacation. Any fun plans?

the moose buyer said...

Holy Crap Lynn, you are going to wear yourself out. I don't even know what kind of advice to give you outside to say that I am concerned that you are going to explode. Hope K gets some good news about a job soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that there are therapists out there like you. It gives me hope.

But you do need to take care of yourself as well.

jaded said...

The paperwork required now is unbelievable. I understand the need for accountability, but it shouldn't eclipse the quality of care.

Sounds like your vacation will arrive when you need it most.

Lynn said...

Michele - Some days I feel as if I am hanging on by a thin thread. Other days aren't so bad. Thanks for the hugs.

Lynn said...

Renee - Thanks for appreciating the job that I do:~)

Slow Panic - Although we won't be going anywhere, it will be nice to have a week off of work.

Patti - I sure hope that our boats pull into a wealthy port...and soon!

Marshamlow - These meetings are with the parents and all of the professionals who have either evaluated or worked with the student. If I just blew these meetings off, I would be doing these students a huge disservice.

The Moose Buyer - I am trying to remember to breathe in...and out.

Deb - Knowing that besides the students that I work with, that there are parents who appreciate the dedication that I have, is what keeps me going every day. Thank you:~)

Patches - You have definitely hit the nail on the head. Accountability has eclipsed quality of care.