Monday, September 17, 2007

Only Time Will Tell

This has been a hectic week. Work has been busy, and I now have an 'Associate Teacher' working with me 3 days/week. She is a graduate student, and will have her Masters Degree and Credential at the end of this semester.

Right now, she is overwhelmed at the number of students that I see everyday. I've told her that sometimes I am overwhelmed too. She has been meeting my students for the first time, and will start providing therapy the end of this week. I am excited to see what she has learned in school. I figure that if she has made it this far in the graduate program, then she must be pretty smart.

Time will tell...in the meantime, everything is taking twice as long to complete, because I am taking the time to explain to her what I am doing and I am trying to get her to think in a way that she hasn't had to think before (ie: real world thinking, not academic thinking). If all goes according to plan, we will be able to accomplish quite a bit in the time that we are together. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

8 comments:

Patti said...

I'm sure you will be a great teacher for her. I have a sense you're good at explaining what needs to be done.

Marshamlow said...

How exciting, just what you need a bit of help. I hope all your explaining pays off.

Renee Nefe said...

I'm sure that she'll be a better teacher from her experience with you.
Hard work always pays off.

have a great week.

ms chica said...

There is such a disconnect between academic learning and practical application. I wasn't always lucky enough to have someone teach me about workflow, and the C.Y.A. paper trail, and I spent a lot of time learning from trial by fire.

Hopefully she will pick up on things quickly and be an asset to you and your students.

the moose buyer said...

I know you are dedicated and hopefully some day this kid will teach another student just like you are helping her.

Ralph said...

As bad as some administrators can be, you still can have joy with the successes with your students, and with your Associate Teacher as well. I hope she learns all she can from you and all your caring...

Lynn said...

Patti - I hope so.

Marsha - I hope that I am able to convey what she needs to know, to help her survive in the 'real world'.

Renee - I believe that hard work pays off...if it doesn't kill you first. lol

Ms. Chica - While I was in graduate school, I was fortunate to get a job as an assistant to someone, who taught me how to survive in the schools. (Including how to deal with alot of the CYA paperwork). This is the knowledge that I am trying to share with my Associate Teacher. I hope that it sinks in for her.

The Moose Buyer - That is my hope too.

Ralph - She is with me at three different schools, with three different administrators, three different staff, and three different caseloads. There is certainly lots of potential for her to learn how to survive in a variety of settings within a school district. I really hope that I can teach her the skills needed to survive.

sari said...

Good luck! I'm sure you're going to be very beneficial for her, and hopefully she will be to you as well.