Thursday, July 10, 2008

Why Won't Some People Accept An Apology?

I am sooooo tired! Yesterday, Yulia and Surya went to Six Fl.ags Mag.ic Moun.tain and didn't get back to their school pick up point until midnight. That meant that we got home about 12:20am and they didn't settle down until about 1am.

The good news is that they both had a terrific time and were so excited and animated in their retellings of the day. The bad news is that even though we got home at 12:20am, they didn't settle down and get to bed until 1am...which meant that I didn't get to sleep until about 1:30am...and I had to wake up at 6am.

I used to be able to function on four and 1/2 hours sleep...not anymore. I was totally wiped out today at work. Fortunately, it was a day filled with paperwork...and my lack of being 100% didn't affect the kids I work with. Of course, when I review my paperwork tomorrow, chances are it won't make a lot of sense and I will have to redo everything tomorrow...sigh.

On a different note, I hate when someone yells at me, I apologize, and then they continue to yell at me as if I never apologized. Here's what happened. I was at one of my schools today. I was given a room to work in that had recently had the floors waxed, so all of the desks, chairs, computers were stacked on one side of the room. I mentioned this to the Asst. Principal when I arrived at the school this morning, and asked her if it would be alright if I moved a table and chairs to the other side of the room so that I could work with some students. She said that would be fine.

So...I was busy working on my laptop...minding my own business...trying to stay focused enough to get some paperwork done and this maintenance worker (we'll call him MW) walked by my door. He looked in and started yelling at me, telling me that I scratched the floors and that I shouldn't have done that. Being so tired this morning when I moved the furniture, it did not register that I was scratching the newly waxed floors. Sure enough, I looked where the man was looking and yep, my dragging the heavy table across the floor definitely scratched it.

I apologized to him telling him that I was very sorry that I scratched the floor. Instead of accepting my apology, he continued ranting and raving about how I should never have moved the furniture and that his supervisor would be really mad about it. I explained that I had asked permission before I moved the furniture and that I was really sorry that the floor had gotten scratched and that if his supervisor was mad, he could come and talk with me and I would explain what happened. Still MW yelled at me. By that point I had had enough of his yelling and I stood my very tired body up and yelled back at him. In fact, at that point I wasn't even sorry anymore...just angry that he wouldn't accept my apology. MW walked away in a huff and I sat down and just wanted to cry. What a wimp I am!

I vacillated between wanting to cry and being angry. Turned out I didn't cry, instead I called one of my friends, who usually works at that school, and proceeded to tell her what happened. She totally understood, knew MW, told me not to take it personally... that was exactly what I needed to hear. However, I am left wondering what motivates people to be unwilling or unable to accept someone's apology. Is it a power trip? Stupidity? Innate nastiness?

I need to get to bed...and soon. The kids are heading up to San Francisco tomorrow for the weekend and they will be picked up at 5:30am. One wants me to wake them at 4:30am and the other at 4:50am...sigh...breathe in...breathe out.

8 comments:

Renee Nefe said...

MW is a bully and didn't care about your appology. He just needed to scream and you made a good scapegoat. You should not take it personally.
What I would have done was tell the jerk that if he didn't want his precious floors marred up that HE should have put the tables and chairs back where they belonged when people have to get work done there! He held up your work and you're sorry that you aren't a maintenance worker with the know how to move the furniture...you're not paid to do that.

Loads of hugs. I hope that you get to catch up on your sleep soon. I think I would holler at the folks in charge of keeping those kids up all night. Poor you!

jaded said...

Some people would rather be mad and revel in what they perceive as injustice than rectify a situation and move on. Childish, really.

As life is seldom black and white there are situations in which rejecting an apology is appropriate (repeated offenses, lip service, the I'm sorry I got caught not for what I did and I intend to do it again). None of these scenarios is applicable to your situation.

You did your part by acknowledging error. Don't give the incident another thought. Rehashing it gives MW power he doesn't deserve.

Michele said...

Yeh, no worries Lynn. What's done is done. I think MW was wrong, you were in the right... don't worry about it now. You did nothing wrong, k? You apologized and probably one too many times over, if you asked me. But either way, he pushed you and he had it coming. You were tired and perhaps he was tired and maybe stressed out as well with how his superior was going to react and the work he may have to do to buff out the scratches but still it doesn't excuse his behaviour... but either way, you were not in the wrong.
Too many emotions running that day... all you can do now is just relax, get some sleep and now don't create more stresses over what just happened because that would be silly, wouldn't it?
You had the permission to do what you had done, case closed.
Now forget about it...
breathe in...breathe out.
(HUGS)
Michele

Madge said...

MW obviously has some issues that have nothing to do with you or the floor. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

I totally understand about the lack of sleep. I used to able to function on no sleep at all as well. Now if I don't have at last seven hours straight I really notice the difference.

Patti said...

I vote for innate nastiness.

That MW does indeed sound like a bully. I hope today was a better day and you are having a good weekend!

Ralph said...

Hey, you made the effort to apologize. You continue to do the right thing, and let the jerks...continue in their mission

Lynn said...

Renee - You are so smart...why didn't i think of that...He should have moved the furniture back...maybe I'll see him tomorrow and tell him that.

Patches - He probably got his jolly's from yelling.

Michele - I definitely will continue to work on the breathing thing:~)

Madge - I always thought that people were supposed to need less sleep as thay got older...so much for that theory...sigh

Patti - We had a great weekend.

Ralph - He really was a jerk. I just hope that I don't run into him and his jerkiness tomorrow.

sari said...

Some people just need a reason. Unfortunately, it was your turn with him.

I hope you don't run into him again soon!