Friday, June 27, 2008

Getting Ready for Elle

Tomorrow morning, we are all getting up at 5:30 am so that we can leave the house by 6:30 and drive about 2 1/2 hours up to the mountains to pick up Elle from camp. I can't wait. I've really missed her, and I know that Yulia is anxious to finally meet her American sister.

For the past two years, I have driven Elle to camp and have picked her up by myself...allowing the two of us to have some decompression/talking time, as a transition to get Elle ready to come back to the 'real' world. This year will be very different...not only is Yulia driving up with me, but so is Sport, Surya, and DH. I hope that the onslaught of people is a positive experience for Elle and not too overwhelming.

We plan to take a drive to the town near the camp and visit the lake that is there. We expect it to be a full days adventure. I'm thinking that Elle and the rest of the kids will fall asleep on the drive home. Tomorrow evening, we plan to go to a free concert at a nearby park. That is, if everyone is up for it.

This is the only weekend that we will have both students with us. Next weekend, Yulia will go (with the group) to San Diego, and the following weekend Yulia and Surya will both go to San Francisco. I wish that they were both coming camping with us instead:~(

Today Sport mentioned that it will be really hard when they go home. He's right...it will be. Sport said that he hopes that the students that we get next year will be as nice as Surya and Yulia. What??????? Did he say next year??????? Yikes.....breathe in...breathe out.

6 comments:

Renee Nefe said...

I bet you didn't know that you started a tradition. LOL!

I guess it could be worse...he could be happy to see them go. At least now he had a buddy for life...they can email eachother.

I'm so glad this has been a positive experience for you all.

I'm sure that Elle will be fine with the entire gang coming to pick her up at camp...she will be excited to meet the kids too.

Madge said...

I'm really enjoying reading about you adventure with the students. It's so wonderful that you are taking them into your home and hearts. What a wonderful thing to teach your children.

jaded said...

Ah youth! Always relishing the experience and completely overlooking how much preparation is involved.

Have a great weekend!

Patti said...

Sounds like you are creating wonderful memories, and like Renee said, a tradition.

I hope all went well when you all picked up Elle!

I'm guessing you had a great weekend.

sari said...

I'm glad everyone is getting along well, it's going to be a great experience for you all, i know!

Ralph said...

Actually, Elle just might have lots to say about her time, and sleep when she gets home.

Because of your relationship, naturally. We see it here between Patti and Allegra in which the daughter likes to talk about things. Mostly without prompting.