Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Russian has Landed!

Late, late last night (after 11pm), the bus carrying the Russian students, and most importantly (to us) Yulia, arrived at the designated pick-up point. Once the lights inside the bus came on, Sport picked out Yulia right away. She came off the bus looking so lost and exhausted, but as soon as she saw the sign we made for her, her face lite up:~) I gave her a big hug and she held onto me, almost for dear life, and hugged me right back.

I introduced her to Sport, Surya, and of course my DH. We brought her home and she got to meet my mother, Amber (the good doggie) and the two kitties. She said that she wanted to take a shower (even though it was almost midnight). Who can blame her, after sitting in an airplane breathing in airplane air for all of those hours, I can certainly understand her wanting to wash the grime away.

She opted to allow the kitties to sleep in Elle's room with her. (that's where they usually sleep). I can tell (probably because she told me) that she can't wait to meet Elle this coming Saturday, and is willing to wake up at 6am, on Saturday, so that we can be on the road by 6:30am.

This morning I helped Yulia send an email to her mother and father (using an on line Russian translator to put the words into the Russian alphabet) then Sport and I took Yulia and Surya to the bus stop so that they could go to school today. I felt like I was sending my kids off to kindergarten as the two of them got on the bus. Hopefully when I pick them up this afternoon, they will have stories to tell about their day.

We'll also be taking home a French boy this afternoon...but just for a few hours. His host family is going to the Dodger game this afternoon, and don't think that they will be back in time to pick him up... So I will take him home with me until they get back. Thank goodness all of the kids speak English otherwise we would need to resort to pantomime. sigh

At this moment, I am definitely feeling sleep deprived. I probably didn't get to sleep until about 1:30 (I wanted to make sure that Yulia was settled in...Surya and Sport fell asleep a little after midnight...and then I just couldn't fall asleep). I woke up at 5:30am. I am off to take a nap. Once I wake up we'll see what the day brings...that is until it's time to go to the bus stop.

I am missing Elle, and can't wait for her to come home. The house feels full, but it's a good full, and once Elle returns the family will be complete.

8 comments:

meno said...

You are an international hub these days. What a cool thing for you to be doing.

Renee Nefe said...

your house sounds like a lot of fun right now. I need a nap too. Hopefully, I'll get some rest before I post about my week.

Ralph said...

You are the hostess extraordinare! You and Elle will bond even better when she returns.

Wait until your kids are of college age...you will miss having a house full of people. These are exciting times for you, no boubt...

jaded said...

I know you aren't taking a cat nap without inviting me...

How does it feel knowing your family is instrumental in changing two lives forever? Didn't think about having that much power did you?

Michele said...

I have been following your stories and I admire what you have been doing... I think it's fantastic.. and am looking forward to the stories and to the interaction of their cultures with the American cultures... totally fascinating!!

Lynn said...

Meno - It really is cool:~)

Renee - Our house is fun right now...we'll see how fun it is once Elle comes home.

Ralph - Elle and I usually have the time that I pick her up at camp and the 2 1/2 hour drive home to talk and reconnect. This year we will have a car load and no time alone...hopefully we will make some time on Monday, when everyone else it either at camp or school.

Patches - You are always invited to take a cat nap here...we even have some nice scratching posts for you to use:~) As far as being instrumental in changing two lives forever...yikes...I hadn't thought of it that way.

Patti said...

You go girl! this is a wonderful thing you are doing.
I just know they will both have a great time with your family and will not want to leave when it's time to go home.

Keep us posted. I know we all are looking forward to hearing about your adventures.

Lynn said...

Patti - We feel really blessed to have these two wonderful kids with us:~)