Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Indonesian has Landed!

Last night Surya, our Foreign exchange student from Indonesia, arrived! In the morning I told Sport that Surya was on the plane and on his way here. I couldn't believe how excited I felt. As the day progressed, the excitement continued to build. At some point during the day, we had to take Midnight to the vet so that she could get a shot to get rid of the tapeworm. However, even that trip to the vets couldn't dampen our spirits.

Surya was scheduled to arrive at the pick up location about 10pm, however approximately 6:30pm we got a phone call that said that the plane had landed early and that we should plan to pick him up between 8:30 and 9pm. Sport, DH, and I couldn't wait. I called my sister, Joan, to give her the update and she was excited too. It was strange, but once we decided to host Surya, he became ours. What I mean by 'ours' is that he became part of our family and all day, I found myself thinking about him and hoping that his flight was comfortable.

Around 7:00pm we received another phone call telling us to be at the pick up point at 8pm. When we arrived at the church parking lot there were lots of other families waiting for the buses to arrive. The excitement throughout the crowd was palpable. I can't really describe how I felt when the buses pulled into the parking lot. Watching these kids get off the buses, tired from their long trip and looking worried that their host family might not be there...well it was hard not to get somewhat emotional. Finally Surya got off the last bus...I recognized him right away from his picture. He recognized us by the sign we carried that had his name on it:~) He immediately hugged Sport and bowed and shook hands with DH, then bowed to me. Of course I whipped out my camera and captured that moment for posterity.

Surya seems like a nice boy. He and Sport really hit it off. Today Surya and Sport are spending the day at a sports camp. Classes for Surya don't start until tomorrow, and Sport was scheduled to attend the camp today. It will be interesting to hear what Surya has to say about his first American camp experience.

I wish that Elle could have been there with us. It saddens me that she missed out on the excitement and experience of watching Surya come off of the bus and be welcomed into our family, and that she will miss the experience of picking up Yulia tonight. Even though Elle will have her own "first contact" with both Surya and Yulia on Saturday, I still wish that she could have shared this experience with us.

Tonight we will drive back to the same pick-up parking lot this time with Surya, and we will all share in the experience of meeting Yulia for the first time. She's already on the plane...I can't wait.

5 comments:

jaded said...

Your excitement is contagious. I can hardly wait to hear more about your experience as a host family.

Madge said...

It's so great that you are doing this. Can't wait to hear more.

Renee Nefe said...

I'm so excited for you too!

The closest we've ever come to doing this is to host some visiting choir kids for a night. They were really nice boys and we had a good time with them here.

My MIL said that she prefers to host boys to the girls...she says the boys help out more. LOL!

Patti said...

Wow, that's a wonderful story. I love the excitement in your writing, Lynn.

As Patches said, it's contagious!

Looking forward to hearing about Yulia's arrival.

Lynn said...

Patches - We are really looking forward to this experience.

Madge - I'm sure there will be lots more to tell.

Renee - So far, and this is only morning 2 for Surya, and morning 1 for Yulia...they both seem to be very helpful (more helpful than Sport...sigh)

Patti - I wish I could find the words that truly describe how I feel...but there just don't seem to be any.