Wednesday, August 27, 2008

They're Back In School

Both my kids went back to school today, Elle to High School, and Sport to Middle School...and I feel really sad. This summer passed way too quickly and I am not ready for them to be back into the grind of school.

Homework, early morning wake-ups, rushed breakfasts, homework, afterschool activities, did I mention homework?

I miss my kids. Normally I would have gone to some Professional Development days (for work) but this year my district decided not to pay their employees to attend the "Buy Back Days"...so I decided to extend my summer vacation by 3 more days. I guess the price that I am paying for not going to those classes, is that I miss my kids...and they've only been gone for one hour...sigh

If I am feeling this blue when I know that I will see them both in a few hours, I can't imagine what I will feel like when they go off to college...shudder... breathe in...breathe out. This parenting thing is hard!

Maybe if Elle hadn't been so worried this morning about starting High School, getting her schedule, and finding her classes, I wouldn't be fretting so much. Hopefully when she arrives home this afternoon, she will have good, happy stories to tell me about her first day of High School. Sport on the other hand, went off to a new school (Middle School) happy as a clam. Hopefully his joy won't be squelched.

I wonder, if as a parent the worrying about your kids ever stops...and if so, when?

I'm going to try to distract myself...sitting here fretting is not going to make the day go any faster...I'm going to head to the nearest big box store for some retail therapy...breathe in...breathe out.

10 comments:

Marshamlow said...

I am having a very difficult time having my youngest in all day kindergarten this year. I miss her so much. I think I need to get a job. Not that I don't have a ton to do, just need some stress to distract me.

When she comes home she is so bratty. One would think I would enjoy the break.

Patti said...

All you can do is breathe in, breathe out, Lynn!

Our Allegra is going back to college tomorrow to start her junior year and Cameron is going there on Saturday to start his freshman year. They will both be at the same school, which makes us happy.

Ralph said...

I am glad you are back Lynn. We have been awaiting your prose...

Like Patti said, ours will be a mere 46 miles away, but not around the corner. But we are happy for them, and will see them form time to time...

Amber, Twilight and Midnight are missing the kids too. Maybe the four of you can commiserate about the emptier house!

meno said...

Maybe if we didn't feed them they would stop growing up.

i understand how you feel.

Renee Nefe said...

From what I've heard, no you never stop worrying about your kids. sigh!

I'm sure you'll be reporting that both kids had great days soon. ;)

Joan said...

Oh boy, I can't wait to hear how Elle and Sport's first school day went. I'm sure you did a whole lot more worrying than was necessary...you're a parent, after all.

jaded said...

If parents are proactive, they never quit worrying. Mine certainly hasn't.

Lynn said...

Marshamlow - I can't imagine going through Kindergarten again. Is it any easier than it was with your older daughter?

Patti - It's great that both kid1 and kid2 are going to the same college...at least they will have each other. I am anxious to hear how it is for you and Ralph.

Ralph - 46 miles doesn't sound so bad, you can get there in an hour, like I said to Patti, I really want to hear how you fare when they're away. Of course you will have Linus and Rigby to keep you two company =^.^=

Meno - If only it were that easy... sigh. I feel like such a wimp compared to you.

Renee - They both did have a good day...thank goodness!

Joan - I did do a whole lot more worrying than was necessary... Elle met up with her friend shortly after I dropped her off, so all was good.

Patches - So do you think that's a good thing, a bad thing...or it just is what it is?

Madge said...

I don't think it ever gets easier. My boss just sent his youngest to college and he and his wife took a cruise to get away from the empty house. not fun. well, the cruise is fun...

jaded said...

I think the worry part is symptomatic of the love. Love is usually a good thing...Interfering is a different from worrying.