Friday, August 29, 2008

She said...she said

I think that I need to start carrying around a digital recorder. Either that, or a translator unit that can translate from teenager to parent and back.

Although my profession has trained me in the area of communication and communicative disorders, there seems to be a big gap with the communication between myself and Elle. For some strange reason, I am able to effectively communicate with Middle School and High School students, and have successfully done so for many years. However, I seem to be having great difficulty when it comes to communicating with my own daughter.

I wonder why that is. Could it be that I filter whatever she is saying to me through what I want for her?...or is it that she is filtering what I am saying to her through what she wants to hear? Either way, conversations, the past few days, have been ending with Elle screeching either "I never said that, don't put words in my mouth!", "You never said that, you're making this up now", or "You just don't understand!"...at which point Elle storms away from me.

I am running out now to go and get that digital recorder...sigh...breathe in...breathe out.

10 comments:

Renee Nefe said...

The recorder sounds like a great idea. Then you can play it back during an argument and at least one of you would win. ;)

re: checkbook...I found that I had done my math wrong, $100 more in there than I thought. maybe I shouldn't have fixed that error? I was living just fine w/o that extra $100. hummm

Madge said...

I remember being on the teen side of that...

Marshamlow said...

That happens with me and my daughter too. Good Luck.

meno said...

Let me know if this works. I have my doubts.

Courage.

Imez said...

God, I'm dreading that. It would be so much better for everyone involved if I could just continue thinking and talking for her like I do now, even though she's isn't quite 2 yet. If I wanted independent minds around me I would have gone back to college, not given birth.

Patti said...

I have no advice, just keep breathing in and out! She's just at that age.

How is your communication with Sport?
Is he at the "grunting" stage yet? That seems to be a trait that boys develop around 14, so he has a couple of years to go!

Ralph said...

She is at 'that age' alright, but have you considered that Elle wants you to try harder to figure her out. She wants and realizes that she needs to keep your attention and by acting (subconsciously)to forge you to pay attention to her?

Only a guess...

Marshamlow said...

Thanks for all your kind words, we made it home safe and sound. My older daughter and I had a difficult time on this trip a lot of she said, going on. Toss in a grouchy not sleeping five year old and the stress of the situation and wow, tons of fun.

Lynn said...

Renee - I bought the recorder...so of course her mood changed immediately!

Madge - Me too.

Marshamlow - They say that misery loves company...it's nice to know that it isn't just Elle and I.

Meno - Since the recorder no outbursts...of course that could just be the 'honeymoon' period.

Imez - Welcome to my blog. It really is easier when they are little and you have control. I love what you said about "If I wanted independence I would have gone back to college, not given birth". That made me laugh=)

Patti - Sport still loves me and loves to talk, talk, talk. I'm trying to enjoy it, since it evidently won't last...sigh

Ralph - I'm trying...but most times I feel like I am swimming upstream...it certainly isn't easy.

Marshamlow - Glad to hear that you are all safe and sound. Stress certainly doesn't always bring out the best in people.

Anonymous said...

Hi! My dd's are 16 and 18. It really depends on their and your personality - I can decode one's responses, but not the other - if she has any response at all. And luckily hubby is the opposite, so we have interpreters for the one we don't get.
They are born a certain way, and then adolescence steals them, and then around 16 (or maybe 17) the real child comes back and you live happily ever after - or so I am told!