Monday, October 13, 2008

To Pack or Not to Pack

Received an email from my local community...it was actually a 'community update' regarding the fires here in Southern California. It recommended that all residents in my area load-up their cars and be ready to evacuate at a moments notice. Currently, there are no fires within my immediate vicinity, however three years ago there were fires located near where the current fires are, and overnight the fire travelled over the mountains and reached my community.

Three years ago, we were awaken at 1:30am by a neighbor pounding on our front door telling us that the development up the hill from us was being evacuated, and that we should start packing up our cars....which we did. At 2:30am the county sheriff was pounding on our front door, recommending that we evacuate our home which we didn't. It wasn't a mandatory evacuation...just a strong suggestion.

Last time, I remember looking at the stuff that I chose to pack, and at the stuff that I chose to leave behind...It made me realize that I have lots of stuff. a lot of unnecessary stuff. Evidently I haven't done a darn thing about it...because here it is three years later and I still have way too much stuff.

This time, I am somewhat at a standstill re: what to pack. I've gotten together some of the family photos (including computer disks)...but not all of them. I've made a list of things to remember to put in the car...just in case. On my list I've written down that I should grab the important papers(including my moms), two laptops (the family one, and mine from work), the desk top tower, picture boxes ( and I've put some loose pictures in a plastic container), Amber (the dogs) leash, the kitty's...their two carriers...and their litter box! Food for the animals, medicine for each family member, clothes for a few days.

I can't think of what else is really important. Instead of packing everything into my van...I'm sitting here posting...trying to decide if it's really necessary to put it all in one place, or if making a list is enough. I'm wondering if I am in denial that the fire will come this way again...or if I'm being optimistic that it won't. My head hurts from breathing smoke all day, and I just want to go to sleep.

Just to add to the fun and excitement... Sport threw-up this afternoon, I think that it was a reaction to all of the smoke. Thank goodness I have a carpet cleaning machine in my garage (actually, I have two)...and although I think that it is a god-send everytime someone throws-up on the carpet, I will not be adding it to my list of things to take, in an emergency. I sure hope that Sport feels better soon, I sure hope that we don't have to evacuate, and I sure hope that the fire season passes quickly, and that no more lives are lost...and that no more homes are lost.

I would say...breathe in...breathe out...but with all of the smoke and particulate matter in the air, I'm thinking that wouldn't be too healthy...sigh

10 comments:

Patti said...

Oh my, Lynn, I didn't know those fires were so close to you.
I wouldn't want to go through all the junk we have accumulated.
What a nightmare.

I guess this is one time that your
breathing in and out mantra is not really going to help (not trying to be funny, but it is sadly ironic here)

Throwing up was probably a good thing for Sport - it cleared that stuff out of his system.

Great to see you back in the blog world. ;-)

take care

Marshamlow said...

My prayers are with you and everyone in California. I faced a similar evacuation situation a couple months ago. I also brought the family bible (which was my grandma's).

Patti said...

P.S. Lynn, of course Jack O'Lanterns are patriotic!!

P.P.S. To answer your question from last night: no, I did the photo effects all by myself. Trust me, it's very easy. If I can do it, anyone can.

jaded said...

Maybe a barf bag for Sport, just in case? Coffee maker, too.

I saw the news footage Monday, and wondered if it was affecting you.

Renee Nefe said...

I pray that they put out the fires soon and that no more homes are in danger. Last time we went to CA they had that big fire near San Diego...our flights were delayed due to smoke.

The haircoloring went very well...I have a system. I only do the top part of my head and hit mostly the roots. I'll probably wait a bit and get my hairdresser to put in some highlights and fix anything she doesn't like...like where I stopped coloring in the back. (only visible if you lift up my hair. ;) )

I would never be able to figure out what to take and what to leave behind. I pray that you don't have to make that decision.

Joan said...

You know you can always give a holler and I'll be there to help pack and move people and things out of harm's way!

Lynn said...

Patti - Fortunately the winds didn't flare up during the night, so the fire has kept it's distance from us...now if the smoke would just follow suit...sigh.

Marshamlow - I remember how you evacuated your family from the hurricane...if only we could get some of that rain here in Southern California...then there wouldn't be such an extreme fire danger. Taking your Grandma's bible was definitely a smart move!

Patches - Fortunately the throwing-up was a one time thing last night. However, I will be taking "dog-poop pick-up bags" which could certainly double as a barf bag in an emergency. As far as the coffee maker...I figure mine is old, and I'd end up at Joan's house... she already has one:)

Renee - Let's hope that these fires are out before you come this time.

Joan - I know...thanks.

Pam said...

Dang, Lynn... I'm so sorry you're facing this again. I wouldn't even know where to begin but it sounds like you've been forced into making a plan. I hope it doesn't come to having to evacuate, but if it does, at least you'll all be safe.

Take care!

sari said...

I'm keeping you and your family in my prayers.

Lynn said...

Pam - Fortunately at this time the wind has died down. It looks like we may have 'dodged the bullet' this time : )

Sari - Thanks we appreciate that.