Friday, April 27, 2007

I Survived Another Girl Scout Meeting!

I feel like I should be wearing a sign right now that says "I survived another Girl Scout meeting!" Had a meeting today after school. My troop continues to work on their Silver Award Project, and Twelve continues to work me.

Last night I mentioned to Twelve that we would have a Girl Scout meeting today after school.

Twelve: Where is it?
Me: At "J's" house.
Twelve: Oh good...it's not here, but I don't want to go to "J's" house.
Me: Well, since you don't want meetings here, I didn't volunteer our house. It will be too hot tomorrow afternoon to have the meeting at the park. "J's" mother graciously offered her home for the meeting, so that is where the meeting will be.
Twelve: Who's driving?
Me: Mrs. B and Mrs. N
Twelve: Why can't you drive?
Me: I have to pick Ten up at school, but I will drop him off at home and meet you at the meeting.
Twelve: (trying another tact) I'm don't want to go. I don't like the other girls. They're mean to me.
Me: I'm sorry that you don't like the other girls. If they're mean to you just try to ignore them. You have 3 more meetings before the Silver Award Project. You have to go.
Twelve: Well, I really don't want to. Don't get mad at me tomorrow when I don't talk to anyone.
Me: (I wish I would have said something profound, but only profanity was coming to mind, so instead I did what any smart mother would do...I just rolled my eyes and sighed.)

This morning, I woke up with a raging headache. Figured it was stress related. Knowing that there would be drama this afternoon. Sure enough, this afternoon, while I was waiting to pick up Ten, Twelve called me. (she gets out of school 10 minutes before Ten).

Twelve: Hi mom. Where are we meeting?
Me: At the flagpole.
Twelve: Do I have to go to the meeting?
Me: Yes, you need the hours for your Silver Award.
Twelve: sigh

Ten minutes later, another phone call from Twelve.
Twelve: (angry voice) Hi mom. They want me to get into the car with "A". I am so not getting in the car with "A" there.
Me: There are two cars. Why don't you get into the other car?
Twelve: (strong obstinate voice) No. (pleading voice) Can you please pick me up?
Me: (figuring this is what she wanted all along)...Sure. I will get Ten and then I'll come get you.
Twelve: (happy voice) Thanks mommy! (can't remember the last time she called me mommy).

I picked Twelve up. Conducted the meeting. Meeting adjourned. Headache gone:~)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew. My 8 year old is at an overnight at Girl Scout camp tonight.

About my binder....it is and Avery (?) anyway, it says 360 on it.

On the dentist post. I have a tooth on that opposite side that has been bothering me for two years too!!! They told me the same thing...nothing wrong. Sheesh. Anyway, I like chips and salsa too much to just let it go any longer! LOL!

Patti said...

Lynn, you can get a T-shirt made up with your "I survived another Girl Scout meeting" message on it.
Go to Cafe Press..

Hey, at least Twelve called you mommy. That's sweet.

Glad your headache is gone.

Marshamlow said...

While every kid is different, my 16 yo was very trying during the 10-13 years and then got a lot easier. The girl drama seems to have subsided quite a bit. I hope the same is true for you. Are you able to take the summer off from girls scouts too?

Joan said...

All this drama just for that one sweet word..."Mommy." I think there should be some kind of Girl Scout award for those girls who maintain a calm, loving relationship with their mothers. What do you think???

armalicious said...

You're a much nicer mommy than mine would have been. Of course, we didn't have cell phones back when I was 12, so I couldn't have called her like your did.

Renee Nefe said...

Are they still mad at her about spitter? (sorry I forgot her sudonym)

SWAP stuff. Daisys through Cadets
Crafts:
make nametag for lanyard (decorate dyecut sea animal shapes. markers & glitter glue.)
Decorate FUN sunglasses (foam sunglasses with foam stickers.)
Beach coloring pages
Beach word search with prize for finding all 10 words
Make photo clips (decorate clothes pins with ribbon & flowers)
Guessing Jars (plastic jars filled with goldfish, skittles, mini-m&ms, starburst...girls left their guess with their name & troop # The closest guess won the jar.)
Beach tattoos (the sticker kind...they came off by bedtime.)

Games:
Beanbag darts
Boatin' balls in the bucket (have to ask Darly about that!)
Tide's In Ring toss
Gold's eye golfing (hitting golf balls through targets)
Deap sea fishing (magnet fishing)
Surfside shell match (sounds like a shell game?)

The prizes were all little things like from Oriential Trading, but we have a US Toys here that carries them all.

meno said...

She did work you but good. They are masters at that. I know because i fall for it almost every time.

Lynn said...

Judi - Hope your 8 year old enjoyed the Girl Scout camp. Thanks for the info on the binder I will go look for one today. I like chips and salsa too...maybe that's why our teeth started to hurt in the first place. lol

Patti - I wonder how the girls and my co-leader would feel when they saw me in the t-shirt? Sometimes, "Mommy" is the best word in the world ;~)

Marsha - Just last night my dh mentioned that Twelve seems to have calmed down a bit...we are hoping that the calm days will continue to increase in numbers...and yes, I can take the summer off from Girl Scouts (hallejuah!)

Joan - You've given me a great idea. Maybe Twelve and I can work on creating a new badge for girls that maintain a calm, loving relationship with their parents. Maybe I'll suggest it this summer.

Arm - I'm not sure if cell phones are a help or a hinderance. If Twelve would not have had a cell phone, then she would have had to get in the car with "A".

Renee - Yes, I think that the girls are still mad about the "Flinger" (although "Spitter" works well too). Thanks for the information about the girl scout event. In a moment of weakness, I may see if Twelve and her friend "Eventempered" want to put on an event like this.

Meno - I totally knew that I was being worked by her. I thought about the long talk Twelve and I had had, when she listed her needs, and realized that Twelve really needed me to go to bat for her and "save" her. It didn't cost me anything, and in her eyes, at least, I backed her 100%. (in the eyes of my co-leader I was a spineless, wimpy, mom)...oh well, I can't please everyone.

jaded said...

Reading some of your post about Twelve brings back so many memories about adolescence. Excuse my while I tell the Missus she needs to send a letter of apology to her mother for behaving like such an ass between the ages of eleven and twenty. *Sigh* Yes, that long....

Knock knock - it's cancer! said...

You are one good momma! I could never do that. I stay away from the PTA and the girl guides and any other sort of thing like that.

I guess I'd feel like the odd one out. Whenever I do go to the school, or the kids' activities I seem to be the only mom who works full time and "Doesn't have time for her kids" so I just choose to stay away.

Good for you though. I'd love to have some say in what goes on with the kids' school.

Lynn said...

Patches - NOOOOOOOO! You can't possibly mean that I might have to wait until Twelve is Twenty until things calm down. Please tell me that you meant that in cat years;~)

Vancouver Mermaid/Montreal Photographer - Welcome to my blog! I stay away from the PTA because I can't stand the phoniness of most of the other mothers. Especially the ones who don't work and are so busy taking their classes at the gym that they have no time for their children, but act as if they are the best mom's in the world.(Not to be confused with the stay-at-home moms who actually spend time with their children). The reason that I am a Girl Scout leader is that even though I work, my daughter wanted to be in Girl Scouts and I wanted her to have the opportunity...and no one else stepped up to the plate.